Which rear spkr to compliment KG4's?

rdfish1

I have KG4's as my fronts and just purchased (not yet rec'd) a KV3 for my center. The rears are bose acoustimass 5's (two cubes in each rear corner). Several have criticized the bose as not being good rear surround spkrs so i am considering replacing them. Currently, I have used a sound level meter and the independent channel adjustment to make sure all speakers are calibrated and putting out equal volume so they seem ok, but maybe i am giving up something by not having different rears.

Anyway, given my fronts and center, what would be a good compliment for the rear? I found my KV3 on ebay, so if you think an older spkr no longer made would be the best choice, i can probably find it. Receiver is Marantz 7200 (105watts) with lots of features.

Thx, david

----------------

On 12/28/2003 5:55:18 AM rdfish1 wrote:

I have KG4's as my fronts and just purchased (not yet rec'd) a KV3 for my center.

----------------

My older brother has a very similiar setup across the front. He uses KG 1.1s for the rear surrounds. He says it sounds very good (although I have yet to hear it myself, so I cannot comment directly on how it sounds). Other than that, I can only agree with what has already been said above.

----------------

On 12/29/2003 2:54:40 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Just another stupid question...The difference between dipole and monopole? Especially curious since I may end up using my KG4's as fronts.

----------------

Monopole speakers are your typical speaker with the speaker elements (horns, drivers, etc) arrayed on one face (usually the front) and sends the sound out in one direction.

Di-pole speakers typically have speaker elements on two faces aimed out in two seperate angles (usually opposite sides). On a Di-pole speaker, each face is wired out of phase to each other, thus creating a more diffuse sound.

Bi-pole speakers are the same as Di-pole speakers, but each face is wired in-phase to each other.

Then you get the WDST (Wide Dispersal Sound Technology) type speaker, which are really tri-pole speakers. The two tweeter horns are on each face 45 degrees off center with a mid-range in the center spot. This is a pretty good compromise between a monopole design and a bi-pole design (don't know if the two horns are wired out of phase on a Klipsch WDST style speaker.) The WDST speaker is a Klipsch specific design, although there are probably other manufactuers that are putting out similar type speakers.

As to which type to use in your own setup, well, that is a topic of much debate. It pretty much comes down to what you want and how good it sounds to you for your specific application. Some poeple prefer the more diffuse sound of the wide-dipersal speakers and others prefer the more localized sound of the monopoles. Some folks (such as myself), prefer the wide-dipersion/diffuse sound for movies and watching TV, but prefer the localized sound of the monopoles for music (thus why I have both types in my system for surrounds).

Here is a pretty good article that explains each type of speaker.

I have a similar question. I have KG 4.2 mains with a KG 2.2v center, plan on switching to KG 2.2 or 2.5 mains(waf), and to achieve a unified front. Have been looking on ebay at KG1 and KG 2.5/2.2 for my surrounds. With the KG1 being sealed and KG 2.5/2.2 being rear ported, what is best to have mounted on the wall. I would like to go KG2.5 all around, but only if sound isn't affected to much by blocking port with closeness to wall. Lastly, what is the best way to mount to wall, omni mounts, does this require drilling, or build some sort of shelf?

Thanks