RF3II or RP3 for 2 channel system?

jzoz01

The ONLY reason not to go with the RP3s would be room/size restrictions. If space is not an issue, DEFINATELY go with the RP3s. The RF3s will require an independant sub to match the performance of the RP3s in the lower frequencies. This should be taken into account when comparing the prices of both models.

I have a pair of RP3s and I absolutely love them. In fact when I went to the Klipsch dealer in town I found I actually preferred the RP3s over the RF7s with the RSW15 sub for two channel applications (for home theater applications the RF7s with the RSW15 blew the RP3s away of course). I realized that due to the crossover differences between the sub and the midrange of the RF7, and due to the use of a single sub with two speakers, the two channel sound from the RP3s simply sounded smoother and more balanced. The crossovers in the RP3s with built in subs just offered a smoother transition across the frequency band, and having a sub per speaker resulted in a more balanced presentation. 2 ears, 2 channels, 2 speakers, 2 subs. It just made sense. I was told that since the sound waves produced by bass drivers are greater in length than the distance between your ears, bass sound is omni or non-directional. But I could still hear a difference with a sub per channel instead of one sub for both.

Based on recommendations from this forum and audioreview.com, I bought the RP3s off Ebay without auditioning them and I haven't regretted the decision for a moment, especially when I heard the RF3s (Is not IIs) in The Good Guys a while ago. The RF3s without a sub cannot compete with the RP3s as far as 2 channel music is concerned (in my humble opinion), and the RF3s with an independant sub wont sound as balanced (Again, in my opinion), regardless of the extra money you will spend.

My friends liked the RP3s so much two of them went out and bought some. We all paid roughly $550 on Ebay (without shipping unfortunately). Hopefully your deal is close to that.

Goodluck, let us know what you decide.