Making a 5.1 into a 5.2

JVesely010

Yes... by buying an SWS sub. You link it to the PM Ultra one and you get a 5.2 system 1.gif And how would it sound, it depends of how you will place the other sub or both of them in your room. Sometimes, if you place them wrong, they can cancel their bass each other. How would you place those 2 subs? Would you stack them? What was your idea for the placement? Two subs togheter can make real great bass and in some cases, even better than just one. When you just have one sub, you can have big peaks and valleys in the frequency response in your room but in those times, sometimes when you add another one and that you place it well, it can help to reduce those peaks and valleys + the new sub addition can add more omph.

Well i was thinking of putting the other sub behind the chair that i would be sittting in, so then i would have one sub in front of me and the other behind me. If had two subs, then i don't think that i would stack them, i would want them for better surround sound...do you think that would help? It sounds like you know about these things well. Thanks for the reply! 1.gif

----------------

On 12/31/2003 7:59:36 PM JVesely010 wrote:

Well i was thinking of putting the other sub behind the chair that i would be sittting in, so then i would have one sub in front of me and the other behind me. If had two subs, then i don't think that i would stack them, i would want them for better surround sound...do you think that would help? It sounds like you know about these things well. Thanks for the reply!
1.gif

----------------

The SWS only handles 90hz and below or 60hz and below, depending on the crossover setting. It is generally accepted that people have hard time telling the direction of sound waves below 80hz, thus no such thing as surround bass with the SWS. Besides, the SWS and the ultra/GMX subwoofers will not receive discrete signals like a 4.2 setup, so the surround upper bass effect of 4.2 setups won't work even if the SWS played up to 120hz like the ultra subwoofer. I'd stock the subwoofers in a corner for room gain(louder bass just by placement).

Also, The ultra's by themselves are completely superior to the GMX+SWS combo in every way as far as the sound goes. The GMX doesn't even fully work with computers unless it has the Nforce motherboard with DICE(dolby interactive content encoder) feature. The only thing the GMX has over the ultra's is the built in dolby digital decoder but most soundcards and software can already do this just fine then some(like DTS). If an external decoder is a must, the Klipsch DD-5.1(decodes dolby digital and DTS) can compensate the ultra's with this. The only reason for buying speakers with built in decoder or preamplifiers like the klipsch DD-5.1 is if you need to use the speakers with external DVD players or consoles with DVD playback(PS2 and Xbox). Otherwise, a soundcard will do just fine.

Effectively... Normally, a 5.2 setup compared to a 5.1 setup, the goal is to have more bass, not to have a more "surrounded" bass like Goosechaser explained as the waves below 80 Hz are none directional. Buy the PM Ultra first, and I think that you will be really satisfied of what the sub can do! 2.gif This would be better buying one set of PM Ultra than choosing the GMXs + an SWS sub for the overall sound quality. And you can always add another SWS or even more if you really want more bass than what the PM ultra sub can do if you are a bass freak. But generally, people really love the power of the PM ultra sub alone, because it is really good! 1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This system would be for my computer and in it i have an audigy 2(platinum), therefore, the dolby digital decoder is not necessary. So you would then suggest the ultra in the corner against the wall and just scratch the idea of the surround bass?

Thanks for your reply and your help already.1.gif

Yep... if you have the money, go for it 1.gif Compared to the GMXs, you will have better overall sound quality as well, the PM Ultra sub can go considerably lower too. And your placement idea is great most of the time. In a room corner, this is where you have the most room gain, but there are some exceptions. For example in my room, if I place my sub to the front right corner, I'll have less power because just beside that wall, there is a bedroom, that surface is less reflective. However, in my front left corner, there is the brick wall of my house, well if you go through it, you simply fall of about 5-6 meters high and you dive on the ground 9.gif... in that corner, the bass is more reflected due to what you can find behind that corner. If for any weird reason you feel that the sub doesn't give all what it could deliver, post again and we'll answer ya 2.gif In that case, there are some hints which can tell you the very best spot you can have for you sub. In my case, I can considerate myself lucky because I can obtain quite very flat bass without using an EQ. BUT... not for sound pressure level 8.gif Just below me, there is the kitchen and the floor of my bedroom, is also the ceilling of the kitchen, I dont know if you understand. And also, my ceiling in my bedroom isnt made of wood like all my walls, so the ceiling + my floor dont keep the bass greatly 8.gif So I can considerate that all my SPL results in my smallish 1500 cubic ft room are the same than in a room like 2 times bigger and maybe even more.

• 5 weeks later...