Ordered SVS Ultra while Klipsch waiting...

HornEd

If patience were life's only virtue, I would be condemned without reprieve. I have tried four Klipsch subwoofers and longed for an earful of the new ones. Since I am in the middle of an experiment using low bass and Klipsch horns to preserve and enhance neural networks and quality of life for aged persons.

Tom Vodhanel of SVS has been most helpful and certainly has spoken well of Klipsch, and I can get a delivery commitment from SVS that is not quite ready at Klipsch. Frankly, the Twin SVS CS-Ultra subwoofers

including a Samson 1000 watt pro amp, ART 351 Equalizer, plus cables for $2,765 is reasonable if they work as advertised. If they fail to deliver, I will let my fellow BB members know.

Fear not, BobG, I will most likely pick up the best Klipsch has to offer at my first opportunity. On your suggestion, I have chosen to order a new RC-7 rather than converting a spare KLF 30 or KLF 10 to a center speaker. HornEd

------------------

HornEd's Living Legends

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF RC-7 Front Center (on order)

KLF 30 L&R Side Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

SVS CS-Ultra Front Sub (on order)

KSW-15 Rear Sub

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweak On!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-13-2001 at 03:27 PM

my god ed you are amazing! forget the earthquakes - hopefully your structure will endure. Smash.gif

guess u probably saw TV's latest post w/ the TN figures. i'm considering the single or twin 39(s) for the back room. have a feeling they would then find their way to the big room.

think i'll listen to the budget & the pending rsw for now though.

congrats on your latest move!

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

No, Boa, as you may know, Tom, the SVS's SubHuman Knight Errant is on a do-it-himself "Holy Grail" of subwoofers... the SS... in which cost will not be a primary design concern. A small company, SVS has elected to build high quality twin subwoofers powered by a two channel amp and tweaked to your heart's content by an equalizer. The units use 97oz strontium ferrite magnets and are built on a highly modified 20-39 format which claims (approx. 7.5dBs at 20Hz!)... and SVS touts them as their finest subs to date. This was the first day that a select list of customers got an email inviting them to plunk their money down and get in line. You can catch the act at http://www.svsubwoofers.com/CSUltrahome.htm

The SVS unit fits well into my bass management of low frequency experiments.

My interest in the new Klipsch subs remains high... I am curious as to how close Klipsch will come to your Velo 18" HGS in overall sound quality.

Again, I must echo the praises of Klipsch for allowing us to be free and open in our concerns and comparisons of speakers rather than politics.

Now, if my newly ordered RC-7 would just get here... oh, yeah, and then there is the long awaited progressive scan DVD player that I am holding out for... Does it ever stop! Happily, not in my memory. HornEd

HornEd,

Yes, please do let us know how the Ultra's work out, congrats on the purchase. From what I've read about SVS nice product, and I'm now interested in SVS(just lacking a good sub in my system).Just placement with Khorns and LaScala's could be tense.

I may try 1 16-46PS for starters or the dual 20-39PS phased in line with my Khorns, if I can only find 4 good corners. But if what I read is true, your in for a wild ride. Have you sent the neighbours any form of warnings yet?!....shaken, but not stirred!

I'm still hoping the RSW15 will be a better match than the KSW15 for my Khorns and LaScala's or could be the KEF TDM45B...side firing, bottom firing.....decisions decisions....I'M SO CONFUSED!

Tom speaks highly of Klipsch as he has KLF 30's and C7. I believe the SS line will run around 5K (on their site). Their "do it yourself" subs are something else, check out the "WATERHEATER".

WOW...Enjoy Ed.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 06-14-2001 at 02:59 AM

Yeah, Boomer, but I may have to wait a couple of weeks while they TV bangs these babies out. Smash.gif

Going totally tubular in the first octave has been a whole lot easier than buying the new Klipsch line of speakers in this neck of the woods. It seems the "Good Guys" have gone bad. But, I will vent that in "General Questions."

cwm10.gif HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-15-2001 at 02:16 AM

I recently recieved my 20-39CS w/Samson S700 amp and absolutely love it, I have since ordered another one and anxoiusly await it's arrival, Look forward to hear your reviews about the Ultras. I've attached a pic of the sub sitting behing my KLF-30 if it worked so you can get a size comparison.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

SVS 20-39CS Sub

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Sony TA-N220 Amp running front effects

Hitachi MX4080EM Muli-system VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Craig, glad to hear you were happy enough to buy another "sub-dude" tube. Enjoyed the photo of your new sub and KLF 30... especially since noting that you are such a Klipsch enthusiast that you have employed a "wee green Klipsch defender" as sound protection.

Cjet, I spent too many years being green with envy and urge you to let it be an incentive to putting the green in your wallet just long enough to ear's desire. You will be amazed at what you can do when you exercise all that you are! I realize that your comments are not so heavy as all that... but I did not get my present "resource set" as a present... I got it the hard way and bear the scars of someone willing to pay the price... and then some. On balance, it may not be worth it. I believe an honest full-range sound system can be used to relax or excite the human condition as needs arise. As such, it is an essential household tool for mental well being... and can pay its own way in increased productivity.

cwm40.gif Hmmm, I guess that means that I prefer not to buy a dog that won't hunt. Enjoying life is what you make of your own environment. Color it with Klipsch as much as you can.

I'll be happy to share my MHOs on the Ultra... and probably on the new Klipsch subs as they appear. But for now, please pass the pop-corn cwm39.gif I'm still doing Father's Day. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-20-2001 at 04:22 PM

Ed, I'm not all THAT green. Remember I have two of the 20-39cs woofs to keep me company for now. With you being one of the first to audition the Ultra's I figure your experience with the lower octaves could make for a very interesting read. Smile.gif

I'm still saving my pennies however. Wink.gif

Oops, square pegged cwm16.gif that round comment cwm18.gif Sorry cjett, I know better. Your SVS experience gave me much of incentive to write that Ultra check. I was tired from a 14 hour drive through redwood forest backroads and reacted to the green scene without thinking. My BAD, I just react strongly to people who don't work toward fulfillment of worthwhile heart's desires. Obviously, with your equipment, you don't even begin to fit in that category.

I am hoping that the CS-Ultra will arrive before my son (he of perfect pitch... must have gotten it from his mother) ends his surprise father's day Scrabble visit. Given the reputation of SVS subs (like the twins you have) and the twin 16-46's TV touted me out of, my expectation level may be disappointingly high in the "no boom... just a great feel" category.

Once again, cjett, thanks for the inspiration... I'll let you know if it paid off post haste! Smile.gif~ They just got to get that little green guy with the tongue working right for envy posts! HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-23-2001 at 02:50 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Still in a holding pattern as Tom the Sub-Human lets UPS have its way with CS-Ultra shipping containers this week. If the test units arrive in their desired number of pieces, those of us in the first batch will have ours in the UPS crunch test/delivery system. Actually, I was hoping to hear a demo of the R_7 series Klipsch long before the new SVS arrived... but I guess that is not to be. cwm10.gif HornEd

Hey Ed, I just read over at HTF that the subs passed all shipping tests and all orders will be going out on Friday. You probably already have your shipping notice. I have been AOL for a few days with unexpected 6 bypass heart surgery. Now THAT was fun. But it means I will have plenty of time to catch up on all of these forums...lol

Will still be anxiously awaiting your first impressions...Good Luck!!!

Curt

Yes, Curt, I received a 3 a.m. email from the Legendary Sub-Human (TV) discussing delivery and duck analogies. The way he's paddling, I am glad my order is getting out before he winds up in the next bed over from you.

Wow, a six shooter bypass!!! My best to you, Curt, at this time of testing. I remember being assigned to cover the open heart recovery unit during the graveyard shift in my early days in the Army Medical Corps at S.F.'s Letterman General Hospital. Scary.. and now I face some of what you have just had... and that's even more scary.

Hope you get all the lol's you can fit in this side of a busted stitch. I expect the Twin CS-Ultras to arrive early next week... and you can be sure that, emergency heart surgery notwithstanding, you will be among the first to know how well these bad boys support mycwm38.gif Klipsch collection. Be well. HornEd