Questions

mpgwagon

I read many posts concerning sub placement. My question is: If placement is so critical then how can full range speakers be placed in an optimal location?

Powered speakers with built in subs would not make any sense at all. The placement for the best soundstage is not going to be in the same location as the placement for best bass response. Am I missing something? What if I were to use two KSW12's and put my front SF1's on top of the subs?

SF1 Fronts

SC1 Center

KSW12 Sub

SF1 rears

Technics SA DX1040 receiver

Panasonic rv31 DVD

mpg, that's what some like horned f.e. are doing. sometimes they are the same spot. but if u don't want to stack 'em, a few feet should't make that much dif for the sub.

& that's the case many make for a seperate sub. gives u more flexability in placement. also some say the sub

in it's own cabinet yields a better sound.

lot of opinions, but if u have the standard room & free space generally the best place for both sub & front speaker are near the front corner. & distance from the rear of a ported speaker & the wall can make a differece w/ a dif of just a few inches.

the best test for the sub is probably the put it in your listening position & move yourself around the room

to see where it sounds best, then put your sub there, technique.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Sub placement can be a real comedic exercise. "Trial & Error" has determined my best location is 1/3 of the way down the right hand wall! I have stacked (with insulators) KLF 30's on top of KSW-12's in the side surround and rear effects positions for reasons other than the best possible bass performance.

I want the rear KLF 30's to be high enough for the mid-range and tweeter to be higher than the back of my chair and the furniture and heavy draperies allow only a narrow area of wall behind the rear locations. Further, the purpose of the KSW-12's was to provide a greater kick (with "real world" directionality) to surprise sounds on movie tracks. That was more a factor when I had lesser speakers than KLF 30's in those positions.

I use a KSW-15 as my primary sub and will be shifting it to being a rear sub upon the arrival of the just released twin SVS CS-Ultra package. I am in mid-experiment and need reliable first octave performance. I was trying to hold out for the new Klipsch subs and intend to review them when they become available.

When the new sub and RC-7 are in place, I will do some extensive testing (and measuring) to determine the best locations for the equipment I have in the place that I have to play it. The moment of truth is always when the ears meet the location, location, location.

cwm13.gif HornEd

------------------

Living HT Legends

KLF 30 L&R Mains

RC-7 Center (ordered)

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Pwr Sub

KSW-15 Pwr Sub (rear)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"