Another Klipsch Loyalist Joins the Forum

Seadog

I have been browsing and learning from this forum for a while without posting, so hello forum, here is my first post.

In 1985, I bought a pair of KG4s shortly after they were introduced. Although I really, really wanted Cornwalls, the KG4s were more in my budget range (I never considered anything other than Klipsch when I decided to buy my first real stereo system after graduating from college). The KG4s that I bought were the store demos that I convinced the manager to sell (at full price of course) because at the time the demand for the new KG4s had created a 2-month backorder situation. They sounded great, except, at a certain low frequency in some LP cuts, a very slight, almost indiscernible buzz was present in one of the speakers. After about two weeks, I hauled them back to the high-end audio store where the store manager said he could not here this defect. I took them back home and called Klipsch. Two days later, a factory man from Hope, Arkansas was in my apartment in Fort Worth exchanging all four woofers in both speakers. He said that he could hear the defect, and that it was probably caused by some foolish customer or salesman doing something stupid in the store (these were the store demo units). He stayed for more than an hour, drank a couple of beers with me, and listened to my favorite music until I was satisfied. He said he was taking the old woofers back to the factory to cut them with a diamond saw to determine the cause of the defect.

I dont know what Klipsch customer service is like now, but when PWK was at the helm, customers were highly valued. I have since acquired the Cornwalls that I always wanted, and I am a Klipsch devotee, both for the incredible sound quality and the personal service that turned a potential disappointment into a very positive experience.

79 Klipsch Cornwalls Front mains

85 Klipsch KG4s Center (enhanced by two JBL P20s)

90 Klipsch KG4s Rear surrounds

Yamaha R8 (front channels)

Yamaha R8 (center channel, mono output to four speakers)

Yamaha RX-530 (rear surrounds)

Yamaha CDX-730, Nakamichi CR-1, Technics SL-BD2 w/ audio-technica VS245LP

Panasonic DVD-LA85 (using internal 5.1 decoder with analog output to the Yamahas)

Panasonic 31 super flat screen TV (need to go bigger here!)

(still looking for the ideal SW, and a Belle for the center)

Welcome Seadog.

I personally have never had to contact Klipsch directly for customer support.

With the resources of the extremely knowledgeable people here, I have gotten most of my questions answered. Also the Klipsch engineering guys here (Trey, Steve, Bob and Matt) are a great resources to us.

And if you have any questions about how your vintage speakers were built or how to restore them etc, Andy (HDBRbuilder) is an Ex-Klipsch employee who knows it all inside and out.

Lots of great people here.

JM