LaScala's questions

Johnny TN

Johnny, The change occured right about 1980. The AAs are the desireable OE networks but ALKs or custom built bridged AAs are nice also.

Oh yea why? it's all in the spound. Some say the AL which came into being to reduce driver warrantee claims sound harsher than the AAs. ALKs use high quality components specifically designed for horns are a "constant impedance " network. This is more amplifier and ear friendly as the attenuation of the squaker is adjustable without changing the load the amp "sees".. Custom AAs built with modern high quality caps and coils with an extra "bridge" cap (another Al K innovation) are a step above the factory networks which were, of necessity built to a "price point".

Al K is also in the final developement of a new series of crossovers with sharp cut-offs and he says are another definate improvement.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Johnny,

FYI, I am getting rid of a couple of Klipsch LaScala pieces you may be interested in. I'm posting them on e-bay starting 1.22.04.

they are:

- a horn connector plate ($49)

and

-a crossover Type AA ($69)

I don't know much about them, but a friend of mine can fill me in if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Jeremy D

----------------

On 1/12/2004 1:21:00 PM Johnny TN wrote:

Ok type AA from when to when build date

type AL same as above

I'm assume ALK is a custom upgrade ?

Which type is desirable and why.. thinking of making the leap.

thanks,
----------------

I was amazed at the improvement ALK's offered over AA's in my LaScalas

----------------

On 1/12/2004 1:21:00 PM Johnny TN wrote:

Ok type AA from when to when build date

type AL same as above

I'm assume ALK is a custom upgrade ?

Which type is desirable and why.. thinking of making the leap.

thanks,
----------------

oops, forgot to mention... yes. ALK's are a custom upgrade. Check them out on www.alkeng.com

Al will build them for you if desired, but also offers schematics, pics, and part lists for DIYers. Cool or what?

As another poster mentioned above, he is nearing completion on another crossover which uses "extreme slope" dropoffs between drivers. He's got an article on his website explaining the theory, which according to conventional audio wisdom, ought not to work, but it does.