question: SX 1250 w/ chorus II

I just bought a pioneer SX-1250 (160W per side) and a pair of Chorus II's.

First, I think I may have paid a little too much for the speakers: $850 in great condition (no shipping cost). I guess it's too late to ask now as to whether I got jipped, but could someone tell me what I could expect to receive if I sold them? I'm not sure the model year.

I was also wondering how much these speakers will take (in terms of "clock" positions on the volume knob) from this amp. They are rated at 100W; the amp's 16OW/speaker.

Any suggestions?

stephen

If they're in great shape, and you didn't have to ship them, you didn't really get gipped/jipped/however you spell it. You didn't get a smokin' deal, but I wouldn't feel bad about that price.

They will take more clean power than you'll be able to tolerate. Highly efficient, they'll blow you out of the room without straining that Pioneer receiver.

Hey Stephen! I just bought a pair of Chorus II's a few months ago myself. Walnut oil with brown grills (wish someone could give me some history on the brownish grills!). You could check the prices that the speakers bring on E-Bay. I've seen them sell for more than you paid on E-Bay recently.

The speakers should play really really loud with the Pioneer. I'm not familiar with that receiver, but the speakers will play 101db with one watt. You should be able to hear them just fine a block away with about 5 watts.

I wouldn't turn the volume knob past the 12 o'clock position, if you can stand that much. When you get the receiver and have had a chance to listen to it, let us know what you think of both items. And welcome to the Klipsch forum.

Keith

hey hey..

well, I got away with paying $400 for the sx1250. I hope it works when it gets here! It's coming from Rochester, NY, and we all know about the cold going on there!

So how do you like your 1050? I'm a classical guitarist and know a lot about PA's and other musical gear, but honestly I'm totally new to this home audio stuff. In fact, I knew nothing about Klipsch or this old Pioneer before doing a little research on places like this forum. I've never even SEEN either of these products (the CHorus II's or the 1250) in person!! I hope they really can pump out some bass on that organ music I like.

man, I'm afraid of blowing up the amp trying to bi-amp it! Could yall tell me how to do this?? I had bought a new reciever (had to take the sony p.o.s. back) and tried bi-amping. I must have done something wrong. The sony kept going into "protect" mode. It worries me that this old receiver won't have a protect mode and it'll be smokin' outta the box!

Anotehr question: why does Klipsch use horns? I've read some about them, but not enough to really understand this. I've only seen horns on PA gear; never on home equipment.

Well, that's all I got now. Thanks very much for your help, everyone. My title, "newbie" is definately appropriate here!

stephen

Stephen,

Do you mean bi-wiring (not bi-amping)? You need two amplifiers for bi-amping, whereas biwiring uses one amp, but separate wires run to the bass, and to the tweeter/mids. I would recommend just hooking them up the standard way, and see how you like it. The effectiveness of bi-wiring is highly debated. I haven't heard my 1050 yet, but the previous owner was running inefficient speakers (AR LST's, which I also bought from him) that needed the power of a big amp. Your Chorus II's are WAY more efficient, requiring a small fraction of the power available fron the 1250. Be careful with that volume control!!

If those old Pioneers are in good working condition, I think

you guys are in for a treat. I bought an SX-1010 in about 1974

and used it for about 15 years. It was the top of the line Pioneer

at the time I purchased it. It was the best sounding receiver (to

my ears) that I ever owned! And it only cost slightly more (new)

then what Stephen is paying for his SX-1250.

Dave

The Chorus, as produced, cannot be bi-wired nor bi-amped. There is only one set of binding posts on them, and the crossover is not separated to permit bi-anything. You'd have to mod them to do that.

They will give you nice, clean bass down to a point - maybe in the mid to upper 30's hz depending on location and room setup. They will not be plumbing the sub-mid-30s with authority, though.

DD

ooooo, my heart is palpatating! I can't wait to get all this stuff!! I must remember to be careful with my hearing!

About bi-wiring (thank you), how exactly is this accomplished? This is what I thought: one wire in the top pos/neg position on a Chorus II runs to the right side of channel A on the receiver, one wire runs from the bottom pos/neg jack on the same speaker to the right side of the B channel. The left speaker works the same- top jack of the speaker to left side channel A, bottom jack to left side of channel B. You set the receiver for A and B playing simultaniously.

Do I have this right? What worries me is that this is how I ran the other receiver I had and it didn't work correctly. Did I just have a shotty connection or something?

yall klipschheads rule! 2.gif

stephen

----------------

On 1/18/2004 10:09:23 AM fini wrote:

I always start off doing it the normal way.

----------------

Visions of toe in and toe out... ah .. well.. ahem..

Be careful with that volume control. the high Solid State wattage has a tendency to fry tweeters if you're not careful.

You're gonna find that your pioneer is WAY overpowered for these speakers.. and as far as horns go... man are you in for a treat!

I used to really drool over those big ole Pioneer SX series... all those buttons, knobs, big huge tuning dial, ultra cool 'lights off' look of em.

these days I'm drooling over extremely small, virtually knobless, 3 - 6 watt SET amps. I've never heard one, but according to these folks around here, they are awesome little buggers. I've found that the folks around here know what they are talking about.

Enjoy your Chorus II, and as one organ lover (fini, don't go there) to another, you'll be astounded.

Forrest