Effect of Chorus II's distance to wall

endover

I'm fine tuning my HT setup at the house and can't seem to find what I'm looking for by "search"ing but....

I have a pair of Chorus II's that I use for 50% music and 50% HT. Right now I've got them placed 6 feet apart(that's all the room I can afford) and about 10 inches off the back wall('cause their so dang big!). How will the sound change by moving them closer or further away from the wall? Will the low's get tighter or boomier? Will I really hear that much of a difference?

My listening room is an 11 ft cathederal ceiling that is approx 15ft by 30 ft and my listening position is in the "shallow" orientation. I have an old ONKYO TX-SV909 receiver(110 wpc to fronts and 40 wpc to rears) and my RS-35 surrounds are in route to my house at this moment. A sub and center are years away at this $$$$$$ point......

...and Pirates of the Carribean is nothing short of awsome with this setup(soundtrack and effects)!!!!!

If it's not too much trouble, you could experiment and see which orientation provides the sound to your liking. Try in small increments. Try toe-in at differant angles. Report back, with what you go with.

I'm with ya on "Pirate's". Have fun and enjoy.

The closer you move them to the wall the more bass you will get. I have my chorusII in the corners they realy rock the neiborhood.You will have to play with them moving and bass ajustmet to fine toon to your taste.

ChorusII

RSW10

RC3

RS3II

Denon 1082 110X7

Adcom GFA5500 200X2

I believe there are two issues.

The first is how close you can get a port or passive to a wall before the wall interferes with its function. Obviously if you put a piece of plywood over either, it will not function properly. But if you allow a leak . . there is some partial function. How big does that leaky situation have to get before there is no effective blockage?

One rule of thumb I've read is to allow spacing of about that equal to the port diameter. Most ports are not more than 3 or 4 inches in diameter. The biggest port I know of is on the Cornwall. But that faces forward. A few very early Cornwalls had a slot port in the back running from top to bottom. Let's come back to that.

I don't know about big passive radiators, like in the Chorus II, Forte (1 and 2), and Quartet. My thought is that the big area of these creates low pressure over a large area and therefore . . . I dunno. My guess is that about the same rule of thumb holds true.

Maybe there is data on how close the other end of a port (inside) can be put near an interior wall of the box. In the passive radiator systems, it seems to me the interior side of the passive is about a diameter from any interior wall. I think that is true of ports.

The second issue is how close to a wall or corner you have to get a woofer, port, or passive to get the surface to increase the loading on the device to get more bass output.

PWK's paper on the original Cornwall had some graphs. I don't have that here. My recall is that the effect rolled off once you were more than 12 or so inches away. I think the lesson is that if you want the effect of the corner being an improvised horn, you have to be close.

All of this seems to point in the same direction . . . to my fuzzy logic. If you plant a Chorus, Forte, or Quartet in a corner with the back edges not quite touching the walls, then there is enough room to prevent bad things, and it is close enough to give good things. This is how I run the Forte II in the office.

Gil

corner%20gain.gif

The above is what I had in mind. I didn't quite describe it properly.

My read is that getting the speaker off of a stand (14" legs) will give you almost 20 dB of gain at 50 Hz.

OTOH, going from 5.64 feet out from the corner to a position in a corner gives 10 dB or gain at 39 Hz.

The actual room and mike placement probably has a lot to do with the specifics.

In retrospect, it seems a bit odd that 1 versus 2 is so great (a factor of 100) , given only 14 inches. And yet 2 versus 3 is not nearly as great (a factor of 10), given a move more than 3 times as much.

(I calculate that if its 4 feet from the walls, it is 5.64 feet from the corner.)

Now you know what I know.

Gil

post-2552-1381925152032_thumb.gif