Rough comparison of the FSR/HGS-18s and the RSW-15

ekbriggs

Though i am sure i should have addressed this post to the EAR specifically i was wondering how the two compare with one another. I have had the pleasure of demoing the RSW-15 but never the two side by side as i currently own the FSR. Thus anyone with either: a. A better memory or ability to recall sonic charactistics or B. that owns them both please let me know how the two would stack up in a strictly home theater environment when they both are set to their limits (just give me a all the testing quotas you can think of).

Oh how do i get the little custom icons below my name?

-Eric

RSW15 more punch,quite linear to 31.5Hz,and some good energy at 20Hz.HGS18 linear to 31.5Hz and some good energy at 16Hz.

Well in most rooms at normal volume levels the HGS18 sounds like its flat to 16Hz,but like all large driver subs in sealed cabinets its starts to fall around 50hz,the EQ helps it down to 30Hz but from there even EQ does not make any miracles.

Bottom line the RSW15 a better value,HGS18 the better sub with solid output down to below 16Hz!

If you have the money for a HGS18 I would seriously advise you to check out the Revel B15.It may be a 15" in there and not an 18" like the HGS18 but belive me it outpaces the HGS18 in HT use with ease.Its a beast

I can't offer much on the comparison, but I just want to give one interesting fact on the FSR and HGS subs. The FSR15 actually fared a tiny bit better in distortion limited testing than it's succesor, the HGS15...the HGS series enclosure got ~20% smaller so that is what probably accounts for the difference. The difference is pretty small though.

Velodyne FSR-15 - 109.1dB / 16hz~90.1__25hz~103.1dB

Velodyne HGS-15 - 107.7dB / 16hz~89.1__25hz~102.1dB

Klipsch RSW-15 - 112dB / 20hz~97dB__32Hz~112dB

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/Tom%20Nousaine%20Sub%20Data.htm