Timbre matching, revisited...

drdiaboloco

I'm pondering the purchase of a new center channel speaker, and wanted to run the following by y'all.

The idea is to relegate my present front center to the back and finally run this system as a true 7.1, but in the process get a completely different center channel. I was thinking of the RC-7... Or an RC-3II. Either of which of course is totally different from the Synergy series.

I started by looking at the SC-3, but that thing is perilously close in price to the more upmarket Reference series, so why no step up to Reference? Might end up doing this with the WHOLE system at some point, and this would be a good place to start. I just don't know how much this will change the tonal balance of the system.

Any thoughts?

Outclass the other speakers, sure, I can see that. But "overpower"? Are your levels set correctly?

IMHO the SC-1 is simply too small when compared with the other speakers I already have. The cabinet is perhaps 1/3 the size of the SF-2's, and as we all know, the center channel is the most important in an HT system. The RC-3II, if I can still find one, is what I would be most likely to get... But I don't really understand the "overpowering" comment. The RC-7 may have a more authoritative sound and may (and in fact probably does) have better sound, so it may stick (sonically) out by comparison, but I don't feel that it would overpower the mains.

Ahhhh, heck, what I really want is the "old" Reference series all 'round, but I won't be able to find the kinds of buys that I've been reading about on here. Heck, sounds like now you can get the discontinued Reference Series, 5 channels worth, for under a grand. If only I'd waited two or three years from when I started assembling my current setup. 9.gif

Perhaps so. Just can't afford it.

I've heard mixed reviews of the new Reference Series.... Esp. the center channel. I have yet to see the new Ref series at my local dealer, which has been going through some "are we in business or aren't we" troubles, so I can't go hear for myself.

Mebbe a pair o' RF5's and an RC7 center off the internet? Hmmmm... 9.gif