KSW-15 VS Yamaha YST-SW800 ?????

DillonW

Before I'm served up as lunch, or run out of town, let me preface this by saying I live in a small community where there are NO quality stereo/HT dealers. I am on a tight budget, and like most, want the most BANG for those bucks. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to demo equipment, I depend on specs, reviews, forums such as this, and a gut feeling. OK, I know Japan is known for electronics, and NOT typically for speakers, let alone Subs. But, the fact remains, with powered subs, a quality amp is a key ingredient. Other opinions may differ, but dollar for dollar I would pit my Yamaha receiver against all comers. So, why shouldn't Yamaha be able to compete in the Sub market. Now all reviews I've read have basically endorsed the YST-SW800, which is powered by a quality 1,000-watt amp. I love Klipsch speakers, but is it no less difficult for Klipsch to manufacture a quality amp than it is for Yamaha to develop the speaker(driver)? I would love to complete my HT system with a Klipsch Sub, but I don't like much of what I've heard about the KSWs, and I don't think the new stuff will be near my price range. If anyone out there has heard this sub and can speak to its performance, I'd surely like to hear your opinion. And if this idea is totally absurd, maybe it was something I drank, or a bad pizza, either way don't pull any punches. Tell me what you think! BTW- The only Klipsch dealer in town only has Quintets, KSW-10, and an RC-3 and a couple odds & ends on display, just about anything else is "Order Only". What a shame!

Thanks,

Bill

Fronts: LaScalas

Center: KLF-C7

Front Effects: Undecided-None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: Undecided-None Yet

Subwoofer: None Yet-Want Bad (Budget $600)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

TV: Toshiba 61H70

DVD: Sony 560D

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Acually the YST-800 is one hell of a subwoofer for the

$$ and will more than hold its own with subs in the

$1000-$1500 price range.Including the ones that start

with "P" and "V"

Have you seen the build sheet on this Sub?

It not only has a high quality 1000 watt amp

but is servo controlled and has a very high

quality woofer and enclosure

Dont even compair this sub to the past Yamaha sub

offerings it is a different animal alltogether.