Upgrading 5.1 to 7.1

freddyk

Hi everyone,

I have 2 Sf2, 2 ss1, 1 sc1 and ksw15 (bought 2 years ago) with Onkyo dstx777 av receiver which has been working fine for me until now as I went to Harrods and listened to a movie in 6.1 which was far better then my configuration at home.

So I have some questions regarding this situation

1- Is it because of the quality difference between 6.1 and 5.1?

2- Or are these rear speakers not good enough?

My other questions are for upgrading this system to 7.1

1- As I have to replace my receiver, which 7.1 receiver do you recommend?

2- Shall I change my ss1 speakers?

3- Is there any need to change any of other speakers?

4- If I buy 2 rear speakers can i use ss1 as surrounds?

5- Which rear speakers do you recommend?

Sorry for asking so many questions, thanks for any responses in advance

Here is my attempt to answer your questions. Without knowing the

the system at Harrolds.

1. 6.1 does sound better but it is more likely the system you were listening to.

2. Better speakers sound better (not a surprise)

1. Most manufactures have outstanding models. I would plan on spending

atleast $800.

2. If you have the money I would

3. Same as No.2

4 & 5. Depends on your room size but I would use RB-35 are the surround

speakers and an RC-35 or another RB-35 as the rear center. In a 7.1 set up

I would use two RB-35. If I was replacing my speaker This would be

my choice for my room.

Front Mains - RF-7

Center - RC-7

Surrounds - RB-35

Rear Center - RB-35

This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. As far as receiver

goes I would either take the Denon or Yamaha. Hope this helps10.gif

adding a center in the rear (6.1) should provide a better listening experience. adding 2 channels either in the rear or side (7.1) should also provide a better listening experience. honestly i have been gunshy to try either because that means spending more $$$. my 5.1 is more than i can handle. better power and/or better speakers will always make you happier. it is your ears that matter and no matter what our opinions on this board are cannot replace what you hear. if it sounds better to you, it is better!

Thanks a lot for your recommendations.

Are SF2s and Synergy speakers no good? I've generally liked the sound from the mains.

I think the main problem with my system is the rear speakers and the center sc1. KSW15 is a fine sub I think.

If i replace my receiver with a nice 7.1 receiver, replace my ss1 speakers with 4 RB-35(2 surround, 2 rears) and sc1 with rc-7. Will it be enough for a brilliant system? Or should I change my mains as well?

What do you think?

Thanks

I've dismantled my 7.1, reducing the rear centers to 1 that isn't hooked-up yet. I'm in no hurry to do so, since 5.1 is what everything I play is recorded for. 7.1 was a waste to me. Using Heratige all around, I don't forsee 7.1 again until the format gets some recordings out.

SSH

Freddy - Synergy are fine speakers. They are just designed for a different price point. As with many things, the more you pay for your Klipsch speakers (ignoring used ones), the better they will sound. So YOU have to determine your budget and get the best sound within that budget.

Do not mix Reference and Synergy speaker lines. If you go with a Reference center, you'll need to change the main speakers to Reference as well.

dougdrake is right on. the two things i would recommend is to go with matching speakers all around (all synergy, all reference, whatever) which match (check the product website to match appropriately). secondly make sure you have the right receiver or preamp/amp combination with adequate power and adequate processing capabilities.