Allan what do you know about "Trane Tracks" John Coltrane?

jazman

Allan,

Recorded on the Trip Jazz Label, TLX-5001.

Trip Records, A product of Springboard International Records, Inc., P.O. Box 436, Linden, NJ 07036.

Record One Record Two

Side 1(A) Side 1(A)

1.Exotica 1.Suspended Sentence

2.One And Four 2.Minor Strain

3.Simple Life 3.A Bid For Sid

Side 2(B) Side 2(B)

1.Essil's Dance 1.Yesterdays

2.Doxy 2.Oleo

3.I Talk To The Trees 3.Angel Eyes

Personnel:

(A)John Coltrane-Ten;McCoy Tyner-Piano;Steve Davis-Bass; Billy Higgins-Drums

(B)John Coltrane-Ten;Ray Draper-TUBA;John Maher-Piano;"Spanky Debrest-Bass;Larry Ritchie-Drums

I purchased this LP many years ago at one of the record stores in Berkeley. Everytime I play this LP I wonder about it's origin and the selections that appear on it. It's the only LP I know where John recorded with a Tuba in his group. Not an LP you buy for the recording quality or pressing, but Coltrane never dissapoints me. I would guess this was done in the late fifties or very early sixties.

If anyone else has any knowlegde, please chime in.

Klipsch out.

john%20coltrane%20trane%20tracks%20TLX-5

I have a ton of Coltrane, almost more than anyone else in my collection but not "Trane Tracks" It was released in 1960. There are not a lot of comments about this, you having most of the info. It was apparently a "compilation" album and not a studio release, one more reason you hear less. Perhaps Allan has some more info. I'll see if I can find anything else about it. It's an interesting lineup.

kh

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd200/d239/d23979lpmh2.jpg

This is the record on disc 2 of the Trip reissue. It's on NEw Jazz (Prestige sub-label) from '57 or '58. Draper was like 16 years old and Bob Weinstock (owner of Presige) loved him and had him record with both Coltrane and Jackie McLean. Interesting LP, but not one I listen to very much--Draper was overmatched on every record he made and the Tuba just doesn't swing for me. Anyway, Coltrane DOES sound great!

Allan,

Thanks for the 411 on the tuba in the group. Now for the second part of the mystery. What about the material on Side A of Record 1 and 2? Do you know who the unnamed trumpet player is on Record 2, Side A?

BTW, this is all your fault. When you mentioned Jackie Mac being ill, I went to the shelf and pulled "Let Freedom Ring", soon realized I'd never get to walk in a club and hear Billy Higgins again. That made me pull out a few past unusual BH recordings like "Thelonius Monk Quartet plus Two at the Blackhawk" and then "Trane Tracks".

Klipsch out.

• 6 years later...

the information that you have listed there is the information that is on the lp

( i have owned the LP since 1971)

Again the mystery is,, who is the trumpet player on the LP

I am going to huess either Wilbur Hardin or Thad Jones

Thad Jones because of the timing of where he may have been during that time period

although it doesn't sound like him

I am suggesting Wilbur Hardin because i really don't know what he sounds like

but also did play with Trane in & around that time period

I can't believe i have gone 40 years without knowing the answer to this question

DocJazz