Rubber feet on speaker stand top plate?

whadyasay

Hello All,

This might seem like a silly question. I have a basic pair of Sanus speaker stands holding up my RB-25 mains. The top plate has these thin adhesive rubber 'corner' pads, about a millimeter in thickness. I've seen some stands that have up-pointed spikes on the top plates. Since I'm not using the supplied adhesive rubber 'half sphere' feet that came with the RB-25's, should I put these on the stands' top plates (round side up) to support and help 'isolate' the speakers? They are pretty hard rubber. Thanks.

You may want to try Blue-Tac. It is that stuff you may have used to hang up posters etc on your walls. Do you stands have spikes that go into the ground to isolate your stand from the ground? Basically you want a very rigid structure with the most isolation. I have Lovan stands with three 1.5 inch spikes anchoring them to the ground. I have filled the stands with lead shot making the stand more rigid and anchored. The lead shot also prevents resonance inside of the stand. Then I have blue-tac mounting my heresy II's to the top plate. This blu-tac stuff is pretty handy. It prevents the speaker from shifting on or falling from the stand, and it also adheres very strong making the stand and speaker "one."

The stands are your basic Sanus MDF types that aren't fillable. They have hard plastic spikes on the bottom (I have a hardwood floor on top of concrete). I'll probably be getting some metal fillable stands somewhere down the line, but these seem to do for now. I noticed less resonance in the stands themselves once I put the rubber feet on the top plate, although there's still a tiny bit going on with particularly bass-heavy or loud programming. Things seem a bit tighter overall in the lower frequencies than before, but I'll hold off all judgement until I get some real quality stands. I'm not to worried about shifting, as no-one ever comes near to bumping the speakers, and the RB-15's are heavy enough to stay solidly on top.