Soundstage of the RF series

Kyler Cavers

This is really starting to bug me, when I was looking to buy a stereo back in the summer I travelled all over town listening and auditioning speakers. In my home town of Brandon, Manitoba Canada, (about 45,000 peeps) Klipsch is considered a very high name, about a year and a half ago I remembered listening to the RF-3 ll's at aurora video audio and i was blown away by them. I also remember talking to my friends about them and we all looked in awww at them as if we were bums looking at ferrari F50's, all I could think of was rich snobs being able to buy those speakers; after awhile I had forgotten about them as they only reminded me of how much I couldn't have em, but after a year and half I was fully blown into investing in speakers again, I saved my money for about 2 months and found my self with $1000 So I took a trip back down to aurora and in hit me, those were the speakers I had audtioned a year ago! I thought to myself could I afford these, being 16 I was considering these way out of my range but as luck had it I ended up buying them in august of 2003; Not a single person has ever complained about the sound quality they have, despite a bit of bass lacking. But my point here is why do alot of people consider them lower end speakers, and it seems people hate their mid ranges, now I listen to them everyday and enjoy ever second of hearing them so someone please tell me they are good speakers, after all the only other speaker i would consider, regardless of how rich i could be would be the RF-7's

Kyler, obessed with Klipsch

----------------

On 1/28/2004 9:57:36 PM Kyler Cavers wrote:

But my point here is why do alot of people consider them lower end speakers, and it seems people hate their mid ranges, now I listen to them everyday and enjoy ever second of hearing them so someone please tell me they are good speakers, after all the only other speaker i would consider, regardless of how rich i could be would be the RF-7's

Kyler, obessed with Klipsch

----------------

I had the RF-3II before trading them in for the RF-7s. The RF-3 II's were very nice speakers in my opinion. I did not think the mid-range was lacking and they certainly had decent bass output. Of course, you can always add a subwoofer later, if you think you need more bass. The only reason I traded mine in for the RF-7s, was because, I liked the mid-range detail a bit better on the RF-7s as well as the bass output. The RF-7s, are, overall, a better speaker, then the RF-3II, but then again, for the price difference, you would expect that, wouldn't you? Since I was backing them up with a pretty good subwoofer, I was not to conerned with the bass, though.

Still, if you really love and enjoy the RF-3IIs as you indicated, then who cares what other's think about them. As long as you enjoy them and get great satisfaction out of them - then hey, nothing to complain about. Yes, there are going to be some "audiosnobs" out there that think they are "low-end", although I don't think they are low-end. Then again, I am certain, there are some that think the RF-7s or even the Klipschorns are "low-end". You know, if it don't cost at least $20,000, then it is "low-end", it seems, according to some.

You got a terrific set of speakers, and do continue to enjoy them as you are now. You are still young and you can always trade up if your tastes/budget changes. For that matter, there are many folks that are still listening to and enjoying their Heresys, which were once considered the "budget/low-end" of the Klipsch line.

The RF-3II is a very good speaker. Some folks love the horn sound, some hate it. To each his own.

Audiophile snobs love to bash Klipsch. They claim that the sound is "colored." Every speaker colors the sound; some more than others. Very few speakers are capable of the "live sound." Klipsch can do live sound, most others cannot. The Reference series is good at both home theater and music.

The lack of bass on your RF-3s is perhaps due to an amp that does not produce enough current. You might want to upgrade amplification next.

Bill

Well thanks for the info and encouragment guys, when I said the bass was lacking I didn't mean it as real issue, they are the most bassfull speakers I have heard that aren't actually powered, and don't get me wrong I can vibrate my parents back from upstairs but Im sure the RSW-12 will be a nice addition. You asked about my receiver, Im just running a harman/kardon AVR 125 through them, 45 watts, 55 amps in stereo, 25 in 5.1, I was looking into somthing to power these babies without needing to invest in an amp right away amd they sound amazing through the h/k. My friend lent me his old technics receiver when i first got the rf's and wow, i made it cut out at 1/4 volume playing "Thunderstruck." To me I don't think i really need to power em anymore, and I'm liking this high current stuff vs your standard 100 watts stuff

Klipsch RF-3 ll

Pioneer DV-363-K

Samsung 27"

Harman/Kardon AVR 125

Acoustic Research: fiber optic and component video cables

energy e:XL 25's (surrounds)

RSW-12 in april....:D

----------------

On 1/29/2004 1:52:19 AM Kyler Cavers wrote:

Well thanks for the info and encouragment guys, when I said the bass was lacking I didn't mean it as real issue, they are the most bassfull speakers I have heard that aren't actually powered, and don't get me wrong I can vibrate my parents back from upstairs but Im sure the RSW-12 will be a nice addition.

----------------

If people are expecting the bass of the RF-3's to "thump" the neighborhood, ala what you hear in some of those car stereos, than they are going to be disappointed. Same with the RF-7s. The bass is supposed to be very clean and tight on these speakers - not loud and boomy. When adding the subwoofer, again, don't expect to be thumping the neighborhood, unless you really like that annoying, overdriven, boomy, crappy sounding bass. 14.gif All the subwoofer is supposed to do is reinforce and extend the bottom end of the speakers as well as provide bass definition for music. It also to provide the LFE (low-frequency effects) in a movie (usually everything 80hz and below).

----------------

You asked about my receiver, Im just running a harman/kardon AVR 125 through them, 45 watts, 55 amps in stereo, 25 in 5.1, I was looking into somthing to power these babies without needing to invest in an amp right away amd they sound amazing through the h/k. My friend lent me his old technics receiver when i first got the rf's and wow, i made it cut out at 1/4 volume playing "Thunderstruck." To me I don't think i really need to power em anymore, and I'm liking this high current stuff vs your standard 100 watts stuff

----------------

The H/K gear is very well regarded here and seems to match up nicely with Klipsch. The AVR-125 is a nice reciever, expecially for the budget-minded. You have a nice system there, and it sounds like you are still quite young, so you have plenty of time to "grow into it", so to speak. Enjoy it. When you get the RSW-12, let us know what you think and of course, if you have any questions/comments - feel free to share them. Hell, feel free to share pictures of your setup, if you so desire.

Kyler, you got a pair of really really nice speakers. The RF-3II's were my first Klipsch speakers ever, and those alone made me buy Klipsch for both my home theater setups. At 16, you surely have a leg-up and a great head-start compared to most of us back then. At 16, which was only a short 7 years ago =) , my dad bought me one of those Sony all-in-one tabletop stereo systems and I thought it was the freaking bomb. All friends were soooo jealous. Now considering you can already appreciate floorstanding REFERENCE series speakers, not to mention the fact that you saved up for these yourself, it makes your purchase quite fresh and awe-inspiring. Plus, since you and your friends can stand there and drool over speakers when most 16 year-olds wouldn't know their left from right when it came to higher-end audio gear (and probably drool over other things too, but I'm not saying you don't...), I know that by the time you hit college, you're probably going to put all of us (except maybe Moon and Ear) to shame.

Dude.... at 16 I don't even think I had a stereo. If I did it was some dippy little am/fm casette $100.00 jobbers. You should SOOOOOOOOOOO be pleased with what you have. At 16 I didn't even know what hi end audio was.

FURTHERMORE you're 16, what are you doing geeking over speakers anyway, shouldn't you be out terrorizing women? 2.gif

Yah I know I should be chasing after girls, infact the one i really like lives across the street from me but hey, thats another story. Well it feels really good to have some fellow Klipschers who now what there talking about and have alot of experience in this field. I have been told that having reference series speakers at 16 is pretty good and I have to admit I enjoy them to the extreme, by college...well I'd like to have the RF-7 system, Im the type of person who likes to buy what satisfies me and stick with it for a good while, and to me having the RF-3ll system will be plenty good. Everything I have ever listened to on these speakers has been good, in particular "The Eagles--Hotel California, AC/DC "Thunderstruck, Back in Black etc"; a very natural bass sounding movie I have watched is "Open Range" the gunfight in the end is outstanding, I recommend you give it a try. A question I had for you guys is where can I get a pair of the matching surrounds? The RS-3lls, not the RS-35's, I am desperatly in search of a pair!!!!, Do any of you have pair you'd sell or know where I can get them, If there used i don't care as long as there in mint condition. And thanks again for your support guys

----------------

On 1/29/2004 5:22:47 PM Kyler Cavers wrote:

Yah I know I should be chasing after girls, infact the one i really like lives across the street from me but hey, thats another story.

----------------

I like stories... I have all the time in the world. Talk to uncle m00n, gimme the lowdown.2.gif

Oh and great music taste.

----------------

On 1/29/2004 5:22:47 PM Kyler Cavers wrote:

A question I had for you guys is where can I get a pair of the matching surrounds? The RS-3lls, not the RS-35's, I am desperatly in search of a pair!!!!, Do any of you have pair you'd sell or know where I can get them, If there used i don't care as long as there in mint condition. And thanks again for your support guys

----------------

I guess you can try all the usual sources, such as Ebay or Audiogon. On the Audiogon site, you can even post a "Want to buy" ad and tell them you are interested in a pair of the RS-3II. Other than that, check the local dealer and see if they may still have a dusty old pair still laying around in stock. Beyond that, I guess you could just keep an eye on the forum here. Somebody may come on wanting to unload a pair of them on here.