OT(?)-Alternative Speakers

the_h_man

I don't want to get into a Klipsch flame-a-thon but I think I listen to music though the computer enough to warrent a speaker system better then the ProMedias. Not to get the wrong impression, I love these speakers, IMHO, however, I think the bass tends to drown alot of detail out in some music and after some tinkering I've found the mids lacking a bit.

I've heard very good words about the Energy Take 5 system, and it's priced very reasonably. I would probably be connecting it to a SBL! card though a seperate reciver. Can anyone give me any other suggestions on a good speaker/reciver setup. I'm not looking to spend more then 800 really, and I would perfer less. I have limited space in the room (25'x19' maybe?), with a normal celing height, carpet, and two windows.

Any input would be great.

You could turn the bass down, and adjust the mids in an equalizer, though. But since you said you've done lots of tinkering, I'll assume you've done it already.

Anyway, about your question, I've heard good things about the Sirocco Crossfires, and it's around $425 or so (US price, it's much cheaper in the UK). The reviews I've read have been excellent (like the reviews of the Pros smile.gif ), and if you've got the money, it's worth the price.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Okay, if you want a GREAT home theater speaker/reciever setup, you're probably going to have to forfit most gameplaying ability, unless you want to buy the Sirocco Crossfires, or something like that.

But anyways, if you REALLY want to connect a reciever and a set of Home Theater speakers to your computer, and dont care about games, then there is one thing you need to buy. It is a soundcard called the Audiophile 2496. It kicks normal sound card's collective asses, especially for DVD and CD playback. You hook this up to your reciever (I don't know which one will be good) and connect the reciever to a set of speakers. Also, as an alternative to the Energy Take 5's, you might want a Definitive ProCinema system.

------------------

"Feh."

Energy Encore seems really good too from what i read.

i don't see why you'd want high quality speakers with such a low quality source as a PC...

do you know how crappy the sound cards are, and how bad mp3s really sound?

it's terrible.

Heh, do what I'm doing, spend a total of about 700 - 800 USD on a fully blown out HT system for your computer, and get an Acoustic Edge sound card to go with it. Here's what I'm getting...

Yamaha HTR 5250 reciever

Acoustic Research 206HO speakers (2 pairs)

Acoustic Research CS25HO centre chan

Sony SA-WM40 sub

If you do your homework, you'll find these items for EXCELLENT price, so good luck smile.gif

PS. I suggest, if u want this type of setup, to search at http://www.pricegrabber.com and http://www.pricescan.com/