Best HDTV Sat Receiver

Rdog

If the Sony has the same guts as the Hughes, then I'll cast my vote for the Samsung.

Switchable output on the back, component video works right out of the box (the Hughes requires that you connect with some other input, activate the component video jacks in an on-screen menu, then connect the component video jacks.

Furthermore, the Samsungs internal upconverting is razor-sharp. I've seen it in action on quite a few sets, from Projos to Plasmas to Tube HD's, and it's always very crisp in both HD and upconverted SD.

That said, it does struggle a bit in "Zoom" mode on 4:3 images. Does a very good "stretch", though - better than most TV's internal "stretch"

----------------

On 2/2/2004 8:35:22 PM Griffinator wrote:

If the Sony has the same guts as the Hughes, then I'll cast my vote for the Samsung.

Switchable output on the back, component video works right out of the box (the Hughes requires that you connect with some other input, activate the component video jacks in an on-screen menu, then connect the component video jacks.

Furthermore, the Samsungs internal upconverting is razor-sharp. I've seen it in action on quite a few sets, from Projos to Plasmas to Tube HD's, and it's always very crisp in both HD and upconverted SD.

That said, it does struggle a bit in "Zoom" mode on 4:3 images. Does a very good "stretch", though - better than most TV's internal "stretch"

----------------

HUH.....

to watch 1080i ya switch to HDTV on remote and the signal goes out the component....

to watch 480i ya hit sdtv on remote and signal goes out Svideo cable...

What is so hard about that...

And HDTV signals can only go through component so what choice do ya have?

I have HUGHES and it is great....I prefer the menus on it....

I have it hooked up with S video and component....so I can watch HD or normal.,...

Picks up the over the air OTR stuff from my local tv station and integrates into the menu...

Has everything I need....

OK, then they finally updated that problem since the HIRD-E86 (the last Hughes model I had direct experience with)

It was most irritating having to go in on a coax, set up the component, then hook up the component jacks and disconnect the coax on customer installations. Blew more than a few installer's minds as well.

For the record, I just did some setup work today for a customer who was shipped the new Hughes, hated it, sent it back to DirecTV and demanded the Samsung - I set his Samsung up today and he's very happy with it. Granted, it's on a 30" Toshiba tube HD, but it still looks damned good.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 10:07:52 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

Where can you make a preorder for the HDTV Directv Tivo

----------------

go to this forum and look in the HD tivo area. Do a search. It is special to tivo forum member ans AVS only. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

It main be right on the front page.

Griff- The new hughes is way diffent than the E86. My father has the samsung and the hughes has way more features and is much easyer to use. Plus if you ever drop directv you can use it as a over the air tuner, unlike the samsung.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 10:07:52 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

Where can you make a preorder for the HDTV Directv Tivo

----------------

go to this forum and look in the HD tivo area. Do a search. It is special to tivo forum member ans AVS only. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

It main be right on the front page.

Griff- The new hughes is way diffent than the E86. My father has the samsung and the hughes has way more features and is much easyer to use. Plus if you ever drop directv you can use it as a over the air tuner, unlike the samsung.