Tumult sub is finished!

fire pinch

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/6/2004 5:46:30 PM Jordan wrote:

Cool pictures man. Did you take them with a digital camera? That amp is huge, and nice too. Did you build your own box from scratch? Or did you get it as a kit and put it together? Anyways, nice pics.That cd on your website inside the sub cone is sweet, that sub is a monster. Thanks for lettin us take a look.

----------------

Yep, taken with my digital 3.2 Mpixel cam. The picture were in 1280x960 originally, but I decided to make them small for 56K users 1.gif The 3 first pictures (the small one) were taken with the flash, and the 2 others without it. And yep, I built my own box from scratch. I made myself a Tempest subwoofer too and a car Shiva sub. I have still the Tempest sub yet 1.gif Powered with a Class D 300W amp, It is for sale now... Anyone want it? 3.gif

----------------

I'm curious, how would the 15" Brahma sound in comparison to the Tumult? It has a box recc. of 1.5-3 cu. feet. And would only need 800 watts to power in a box roughly 2.85 ft. cu.

----------------

The Brahma 15 Mark II should sound similar than the Tumult, having the same XBL2 technology than it. The Brahma 15 in comparison just have less Xmax. In power, it is between the AV-15 and the Tumult.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 10:09:41 PM Jordan wrote:

But I do not need gobs of power to fill my 10 ft. square room. So the Brahma 15 mark II is another good choice or not? Sorry bout all the questions, I just like all the info you are giving me here, THANKS!
9.gif

----------------

AHhaha!! No problem! 9.gif It depends of how much you are willing to pay. The AV-15 cost two times less than the Brahma 15 but isnt two times less powerfull. The AV-15 is at $205 and the Brahma at $439. If you calculate the total cost with an amp, this would be 234$ less for an AV-15 sub if we considere that you would power them with a 800W amp. However, with the same amp, the Brahma woofer will give you a bit more SPL because it is more sensitive. BUT, expect the Brahma sub to have not only a little bit more, but more CLEAN SPL. The two sentences just before this one have a different meaning. It wont seem to be much more powerfull in the first place, but you would see that it takes more time before hearing audible distortion or some sort of coloration from the woofer. An XBL2 enabled woofer just have a sound of its own compared to the rest. For example, if you take a none XBL2 enabled Tumult with an XBL2 enabled one, both will rattle the wall as much when pushed at the maximum but one will sound worse than the other one when pushed farther, and definitively distorted near of its Xmax. My Tumult sounds so clean that I dont know when Im bottoming it out sometimes!!! Well its like, I turn up the sub, again and again and OPSSS "clack clack"!! oh oh! So you see... This is just when Im running some test tones that the distortion is more audible and it begins to distort really near of its full Xmax.

So in the END, once you have the woofer, amp, enclosure, etc together, considering that you wont pass the 1000W line (its what you said?), my preference would go toward the Brahma 15 if you have the money for more clean quality SPL. However, if you would like to save some money, dont worry anymore and choose the AV-15. The AV-15 is a very potent woofer, and I say VERY potent!!! It has to deserve respect. And Im sure that you would get the SPL you want with it if you wish to spend less money. Moreover, if you want more power later, you can always make a VENTED enclosure with it and NOW we will talk! 9.gif

Now I'm leaning more towards the brahma, but only time will tell. How hard is it to build your own box? Simple sealed enclosure with roughly 2.5 ft.^3. Shouldn't be too hard. My stepdad likes to build things arounf the house so maybe I'll just have him help me when it comes down to it. Thanks man, you've been a big help.1.gif

Hmmm hard to say just by looking at the picture. Not only the logo isnt there, but also the dust cap is inverted. It looks like the first Brahmas. But if they say on the webpage MKII, Im sure than this is what they really have. Sometimes, some stores forget to update their pics 1.gif Haha!! You save 20$ 1.gif That 20$ is the shipping cost maybe? 3.gif By the way, I did answer your post before the one Im answering you now by a PM.

----------------

On 2/7/2004 8:50:24 PM Jordan wrote:

Say one was also considering a Brahma 12, it is not reccomended for home use, what kind of problems would one run into?

----------------

Oh the problem would be that this Brahma wouldnt go very low in a sealed box in home. Well you know, those Brahmas are more suited for the car. A car has a higher cabin gain and boost more the deep bass than in home. So in a car, the woofer doesnt need to be as much capable as in home, because of the car cabin gain. And if they could make all the car subwoofers like home one, those car subs in sealed boxes would give a bumped frequency response down low instead of a flat one (in a car).

Allright, thanks. That winisd pro is pretty cool. I've been messing with it since last night. With 830 watts to a Brahma 15 in a 2.857 ft.^3 box I get a regular SPL of about 115-116dB at 50Hz on up. A max of 118-119dB at 50Hz on up. Only 103dB at 20 Hz, it seems a little low. I don't mess with the plot though. What should I have the series resistance at? With the signal generator is it possible to put in your own signals, instead of 10-100-200 etc.

Be carefull too with that Brahma 15 in WinISD Pro, this isnt the Brahma MARKII. The T/S parameters are a bit different. Dont change the setting serie resistance. I dont know exactly how it is usefull but I know that you dont have to change it. Someone else know the meaning of that special setting? And the signals you are talking about, is this the frequencies you see on the graph? The signal generator have nothing to do with that. You can change the range of frequencies seen on the graph by going into the File menu, options.

By the way, if some people are following the tread yet, Im gonna post soon my MAX SPL results. 1.gif Dont be surprised thought, because I know for starting that at 20 Hz, I get a maximum of 111 dB at the listening position. I dont know if I should take my measurements at one meter, like many pro reviewers or at listening position. I think that Im gonna do both...

I did with my Tempest. Polyfill helps reducing the back waves which are not welcomed when you want a pure natural uncolored bass. This is more usefull with a ported cabinet because those waves can go out of the enclosure by the ports. Also, damping material is used for making the woofer thinks that it sits in a bigger enlcosure. Usefull if you want a smaller enclosure but when you want the effects of having a bigger enclosure.

However, I didnt use damping material with my Tumult because the Qtc I got with the size of my enclosure is exactly the one I wanted! 1.gif Moreover, I felt that with a sealed enclosure, back waves are reflected inside the cabinet so they dont have a noticable effect, but Im NOT sure and Im rather biased on that. I just think that its logical, dont you find? 3.gif

MAX Spl test at 3 meters away at the listening position:

12 Hz 95 -> 111.5 dB

16 Hz 98 -> 109.5 dB

20 Hz 103 -> 111 dB

25 Hz 106 -> 111 dB

31.5 Hz 110 -> 113 dB

40 Hz 118 -> 120.5 dB

These results are kinda weird in a certain way, this is because... figure that I dont understand if the woofer bottom out or not!!! For the 12 and 16 Hz, I pumped up the sub volume until clipping, it didnt bottomed out to my ear again but still, I could hear some sort of distortion. For the rest, I didnt know if this was the piece of furniture noise or the woofer itself, its that hard to differentiate and I dont want to dammage the woofer! 8.gif However, the woofer dust cap is pretty warm when you touch it so im gonna wait a couple of time before doing some new testing. Im gonna do that test again for sure, when I'll understand better how this woofer distort! 6.gif

Who can touch me at 12Hz??? If I could send a video of what the sub does to my room at 12 Hz, I would. Ive taken 2 videos. The first one show my bedroom door CLACKING and the second show a rack CD + some other stuff SHAKING and really shaking on a desk not so near me. 1.gif

For my next test, I will want most likely to get ride of that piece of furniture because it vibrate easily as you approach 105-110 dB so it bother me when Im doing SPL test. Im concentrated to know if the woofer distorts or not and passing 105 dB, I begin to hear that piece of furniture and it makes a really strange noise, like if the woofer was distorting! 6.gif

I finally got ride of my piece of furniture!! 9.gif9.gif See by yourself:

New_sub_location.JPG

Ahhhh! I feel like I have lots of more place now! 1.gif I runned some fast tests and they show that I gain some SPL 9.gif It seems that I got some more upper bass, where there was a valley in the FR curve. Also, the sub sounds better overall, there is not that piece of furniture anymore which was vibrating (the back of it vibrated). So before doing any other testing, I prefer to enjoy the improvments 9.gif Maybe I will run the FR curve and MAX SPL test before midnight, but this will be more like tomarrow or in a few days this week.