Spliced Speaker Wire

mandi

I have everything set up in the house and have Heresy IIs as rear surrounds I would like to move these outside and run them off another receiver. My plan is to disconnect the current speakers on that receiver and then just twist in some extension wire so I can place these out back. If I am going to do this on a routine basis, especially during the summer, should I go ahead and buy real long wire to avoid the splice?

To splice effectively, the two wires to be spliced must be the same gage, the same type, and the splice must be the same resistance or less than the wire itself. Your splice should be a premanent splice like the "Western Electric Splice" (hooked - wrapped - soldered - each conductor insulated).

Keep in mind that if your wire gets too long you will loose some power due to resistance.

I'm with you on the strength of the soldered splice, but my thinking is that the splice itself would be more inflexible than the rest of the wire, and the wire next to the splice becomes the weak point...seen it before like musicians cables which get rolled up and such alot.

That was my thinking...

DM

The longer the run the lower the gauge (thicker) you will want. It would probably be best to go to Home Depot and get a couple of lengths of 12ga to reach outdoors. Take a couple of 4x12" pieces of plywood and cut a Vee to wind the wire on for storage between uses. Party on!!!!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif

By the way I like my steak a little on the rare side.2.gif

Rick

D-Man good call. The flexing at the point where soldered connection ends will become weak - the soldered side would remain fairly rigid and the unsoldered wire would move thus weakening the point at or close to the end of the solder connection. Stress relief can be added by using some form of back shell or rigid tube larger than the wire itself. It would have to be secured (clamped) about an inch or so past the splice so as to allow for flexible wire to be on both sides at the point where the back shell is secures to the insulation. This would dissipate the force and friction caused by it and allows a splice to be used, but a single length of wire is a much better option.