Khorns on the long or short wall?

lorcoll

would that be feet or meters 1.gif

Long wall.

Looks a little small though - you want to be about 9' away from the speakers to allow the horns to blend.

Also don't want to be up against the back wall. The sound reflections from the rear wall are to be avoided, and the closer you are to it, the louder they will be.

I agree with Randy that the long wall is recommended.

However I am forced to use the short wall in a room 11 1/2 by 25 (ft). Have had bad results with this room from every speaker that has been here (no center fill).

It turns out that by using a center channel (3-channel mode on receiver) has solved my problems and made a bad room sound good. The sound image is now very stable.

I don't get the super wide left/right effect but the image is still separated while I am about 13 feet from the speakers. Sounds like an unworkable situation but it works surprisingly well.

I never plan to go back to two channel operation (at least in this room)!

distance from the back wall would be, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, long enough to not be heard. This would depend on the wall itself, the wall coverings, if any, furniture like bookcases, etc.

In my case I have absorbtive panels hung where the individual speakers aim on the back wall. Also many things like bookcases and bric-a-brac cases to make the rear wall rather incoherent reflectively.

I would also agree that at times in other homes I have had to use the short wall due to extenuating circumstances. The results are OK as long as you can still listen far enough back to be about 9 feet from the speakers. When the speakers are closer the sweet spot is correspondingly closer, conceivably less than the 9' distance.