Power Conditioner

Thors1982

I am looking to buy a power conditioner. I am thinking about the HTS 3500. I hope that it will be sufficient for my system.

However I do not want to spend $400. Is there anywhere that sells them for cheaper???

I think e-bay sells them but how bad is it to buy from e-bay cause I know the warranty will no longer be in place.

How bad is it to buy a new power conditioner without a warranty?

Also, I saw a used HTS 5000 on Audiogon.com for $315. How bad of an idea is it to buy a used power conditioner?

I am very new to home theater and until recently didn't even know I needed a power conditioner so any help would be appreciated.

Buying used is a risky proposition at best. You don't know how many surges the unit in question has already handled, nor do you know what kind of environment it was used in (lots of people declare "smoke free", but how do you know unless you inspect their living room?)

It's very difficult to find Monster anything at less than retail price, because of the agreements they make with all their distributors. The retailers are contractually obligated to not compete with each other on Monster equipment. That's what makes it such a lucrative addon to a dealer's offerings - the 60% profit margin.

My suggestion to you would be take a part time job for a month or so at a big retailer like Best Buy - so you can buy direct from Monster at 40% of retail - plus get ridiculous discounts on the rest of the equipment for your HT (Audio and Video are the biggest profit centers for Best Buy)

My only regret about quitting BB when I did was the discounts.

----------------

On 2/1/2004 12:07:39 AM Thors1982 wrote:

Thanks Griffinator, I should have thought about that, lol :-) Used = BAD!

I found a HTS 3500 brand new online for $270. It is off of etronics.com.

What is the deal with that? is the warranty bad?

Is it safe to buy?

----------------

Er, it's probably grey market. I'd ask them about the warranty before I jumped into that.