Hey...

TheEliteOne

Hey guys. This is my first post in this section. I hail from the Ultra 5.1 section. ^^ Lol, anyway I have a serious question for you guys. I hope this is in the right section. Ok, I want a Klipsch Speaker system that I would use to mainly listen to music, and then secondly use to watch DVD's. I mainly listen to heavy metal/ rock. Things like System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold, In Flames, From Autumn to Ashes, etc. Like I said, I like heavy metal. What would be the best system for heavy metal (including receiver)?? Also, what would be the lowest priced best system? Like gimme the best I can get, and then the cheapest one I can get but still would sound kick-*** w/ metal. THanks guys. 5.gif

How much do you want to spend? Subwoofer?

For a awsome rock system you would have to go with the RF7's and a SVS sub. Now to power all this it would be best to go seperates. As in a amp and a pre. But that is real expsive. I would look into some of the higher end receivers. Like Denon 4802 or 5803, the higher end Harmon's. SVS ultra's would fill in the low end. That would be a head bangers delight.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=901&sc=27

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=915&sc=7

(for a pic, check out http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

It's slightly more than the price range you were suggesting, and i would suggest switching the sub they suggest to the RSW.

TEO - We still don't know if you want a 5.1 system. If you do, for under $1000, you're looking at the Synergy series, which you can buy at Best Buy (on sale this week). Or, you can buy used - 3 pairs of Heresy's for under $1000 if you take your time and find them local to you, but you don't have enough for a sub. Or, 3 pairs of KG4s for easily under $1000 and they will rock your world (and barely need a sub).

Elite, I'm confused here. You are posting in 2 channel like you want a 2channel system...here, however, you say you are looking for 5.1.

Which is it? You will receive VERY different recommendations. Do you want this system for movies or for stereo. If for both, do you mind sacrificing the other 3.1 for better 2 channel playback? Or, do you want the best 5 speakers and subwoofer you can get in your budget?

Oh yeah, does your budget include a preamp or prepro and amp?

----------------

On 2/1/2004 5:14:11 PM TheEliteOne wrote:

Yea, I'd prefer a 5.1 system. What componants of the Synergy serious would I need? or what?

----------------

With a grand, I'd do an entry level two channel instead of a low end home theater. You already have the Ultra's for movies and I don't think the sound improvement would worth $1000; mostly because you are starting from scratch. I mean, how often does one watch DVD's? A good two channel is far more appreciated and it works fairly well for DVD playback. You can always expand on the two channel when you gather more fund.

----------------

On 2/1/2004 10:58:46 PM TheEliteOne wrote:

Ok, Yes, ur right. I want a 2 channel system mainly to play heavy metal on, for under 1 grand. ANd wtf is preamp, prepro and all that other stuff? I'm a noob here.
15.gif

----------------

I listen to alot of heavy metal on my system, so I can certainly vouch for the RF-7s sounding awesome with that kind of music, especially the more power/progressive kind that I listen to - such as Stratvarious, Dream Theater, Laguna Coil, Symphony X, and such. However, the system that I have was quite a bit more expensive than $1,000. The amp that I am using alone costed a cool $3K.

Now, for under $1,000, that may be tough. This is what I would recommend, short of going used as somebody already suggested. However, being new to this as you said you are, I would not bother going the used market. You have to pretty much know what you are looking for to make sure you don't get screwed, going the used way.

If you go Synergy, I'd get a pair of the SF-2s with a Yamaha HTR-5660 reciever, which are readily avialable at any Best Buy. That will put you right around the $1,000 budget (maybe a few dollars more).

However, if you go Reference, which is what I would really recommend, then a pair of RF-25's with a Denon AVR-1804 reciever is about the best you could do with $1000. I know that will be a kick-butt system for playing Metal on. Of course, you could go with a stereo reciever such as the Denon DRA-395, which will save you some money. However, going with a HT reciever will allow you grow into a full 5.1 setup.

All this assume that you already have a player for CD's or DVD's that you could hook up to such a two-channel setup.

UPDATE: Yeah, if you could score those KLF-20's from that "phredd42" dude, there you go - that would be perfect. I've listened to the KLF-20s with some AC/DC and a few others, and believe me, it was like they are made for playing Metal!

Under a grand is really tough, dude, especially for bone-crunching metal like what you're talking about.

I like my little two-channel package (JBL S38's, Onkyo M-5000 amp, Onkyo P-2300 pre) and I listen to a lot of prog metal, but even my package, while under a grand (amp and pre were purchased used) doesn't pound out the low-end like you'd want for that kind of tunage.

I'd say open the purse strings a bit more and go for a pair of SF-3's ($800) and the Yammy HTR-5660 ($500) - that leaves the door open for you to not only upgrade to a full 6.1 surround package later, but also gives you a receiver that has preamp outputs, so you can add on superior outboard amplifiers later on, as your budget allows. The SF-3's are way stronger in the bottom end than the SF-2's - they use a pair of 8" drivers instead of 6 1/2"s - and the difference really is astonishing.

Can't say much myself about the Reference and above speakers, as I've not had much opportunity to audition them. From what I hear around here 2.gif they make the Synergys sound rather sick, but at a slightly (cough cough) higher price point.