Looking for audio-plates for in-wall application

lancestorm

Do you know any good websites that sell them for decent price?

I'm not exactly sure what you call them. They are audio plates that are the same size as electric outlets in the walls of your homes. I would like to be able to use a banana plug into the outlet from the outside. But from the inside of the wall I would like to prewire it via bare wire.

Also, I will be looking for one nice big audio plate for the hook ups to the receiver. I've seen them before (although not so sure where), where they had inputs for 5 channels on one plate, which would be PERFECT for hooking up to the receiver, coupling it with maybe an audio plate that had two inputs for the surround connections to receiver. It would look very bad if I had 7 single audio plate outlets all lined up behind the receiver, LOL.

I am trying to do this for as CHEAP as possible, if possible. I do want some quality connection.

I think I got a pair of these audio plates from Parts Express (with single input) for about $6 or $7 each, which seemed kinda up there...am I nuts for that?

lancestorm:

If you are near a Lowe's or Home Depot, they carry what you may be looking for in their electrical (home networking/automation) departments regarding normal-sized (single-gang) wall plates in which you can insert banana plugs. In fact, they have modular plates that allow you to insert up to 6 different (or same) types of connectors. Everything from CAT-5E networking connectors and coax cable to banana plug and telephone lines, etc. Sorry, I do not know where to find the larger plates you are asking about. -Picky

Thanks for the reply. Actually I'm trying to avoid Home Depot and Lowe's because they seem to be even more expensive than Parts Express. Is the $6 - $8 per plate an appropriate cost? I just personally thought it was rather expensive for some plastic and two inputs. Maybe I'm losing it...

Secondly, I saw a multiple input (5) in a recent Lowe's ad. I hadn't seen them elsewhere, but they wanted $35 for it!!!! That is WAAAAY too much if you ask me...

Anyone else?

I searched when I did just a small wiring job from my home office to my HT room, and wound up at Parts Express. Seems they had some wall plates and then different connectors you could insert into the wall plates to customize them for a not-too-awful price. Yes, more than I thought they were worth, but less than the big-box stores. Remember, the going rate for a decent pair of banana plugs is like $5-7, so you're really not out of line with what you've been for these plates and the inserts.

DD