Reference Power consumion question

Some of you are running Reference speakers thu your promedia's but I dont understand how this does not kill the amp. Granted, its a silly idea because of the 120hrz crossover. You cant honestly tell me a RC-25 will run out of a PM 5.1 center?

Some things you're not considering:

1) Speakers don't "consume" power, nor will they "kill" an amplifier, unless they run at too low an impedance for the amplifier to remain stable (any good amp will handle a load as low as 2 ohms) The only risk you run by underpowering a speaker is blowing the speaker itself by overdriving (and distorting) the amp.

1) Just about every Klipsch speaker on the market will put out a minimum of 93dB with one watt of power. So if the Promedia package is delivering 10 watts per channel, that's plenty of power for any Klipsch speaker! 1.gif

RR-7's would suck with a 120hrz cutoff, but you really cant damage the amp?

Because here is what im thinking. I just bought a pair of RB-25's and i have a separate amp for em. They are going to be my fronts in a 7.2 set up. But for movies, i feel my ultra center might be a lil wimpy, so if i get the RC-35 or RC-25, i could just plug it into my ultra? Granted the crossover will blow, but it will still best my ultra sat any day.

i'm just worried about blowing something up, this is my second 5.1 RA. If i blew it up this way, there would be no returning it as it would be my fault. Also I run the rist of damaging the speaker, do I run a bigger risk running if off the ultras opposed to just a normal receiver for any reason?

My revo lets me adjust each channels volume so i can match the output fairly well.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 8:30:15 PM 007 wrote:

RR-7's would suck with a 120hrz cutoff, but you really cant damage the amp?

Because here is what im thinking. I just bought a pair of RB-25's and i have a separate amp for em. They are going to be my fronts in a 7.2 set up. But for movies, i feel my ultra center might be a lil wimpy, so if i get the RC-35 or RC-25, i could just plug it into my ultra? Granted the crossover will blow, but it will still best my ultra sat any day.

i'm just worried about blowing something up, this is my second 5.1 RA. If i blew it up this way, there would be no returning it as it would be my fault. Also I run the rist of damaging the speaker, do I run a bigger risk running if off the ultras opposed to just a normal receiver for any reason?

My revo lets me adjust each channels volume so i can match the output fairly well.

----------------

I'm totally not kidding about the amplifier.

The only way that amp could blow is if it's rated to run at 4 Ohms and no more. Using 8 Ohm speakers on it would definitely stress the hell out of it, and probably make it overheat.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 9:42:51 AM Griffinator wrote:

Well...

At this point I'll defer to one of the other forum members. My inclination is to believe that the Ultra amp isn't going to take kindly to being forced to run at an 8 ohm load.

----------------

Actually, it'll be easier on the amp to run an 8 ohm load. He just won't get as many watts out of the amp, though. If I recall correctly, the ProMedia 5.1 amp drives each of the satellites with about 60 watts, but those satellites present a 4 ohm load to the amp. Now, if he hooks up, say an RC-25 to the amp, that will present an 8 ohm load, but he'll only get around 30 or 40 watts of power. Fortunatly, the RC-25 is a pretty efficient speaker, so he should get acceptable levels out of it with out having to push the amp to hard. I don't know about the sound quality, though, but I imagine the ProMedia amp should do an acceptable job - just don't go cranking it up to full-blast.

Now, if he hooked up a speaker with 2 ohm load, than he would run the risk of blowing up the amp, since it did indicate a minimum of 4 ohm load.

The ProMedia amp will work in a pinch, but it is highly recommended to eventually upgrade to a "real" amp or reciever. Even the low-end "budget" recievers such as a Harmon/Kardon AVR-130 would most likely do a better job then the ProMedia amp in terms of sound quality.

To cut to the point - go ahead and use your ProMedia for now, '007', but keep in mind that you will want to eventually upgrade to something better in terms of amplification. Just be easy on the volume and don't crank it up to distortion, as you are more likely to damage the RC-25 than you would the amp.