Your Next Sub Amp - 8000 watts!!!!!!!

minn_male42

I have to agree with minnmale here. I would put big money on the fact that the Crown can push the full 8000 watts, and it damn well better at that price. Is it as "audiophileesque" as the Krell? no, but it doesn't really need to be for a subwoofer. Neither the krell or the Crown have a servo system, so it really just comes down to brute force. Also, dollar for dollar the Crown would be a much better performer. true, most of us would never even use the krell to the full 600 watts, but spec wise the Crown really does have it beat.

----------------

On 2/7/2004 6:25:42 PM prodj101 wrote:

I have to agree with minnmale here. I would put big money on the fact that the Crown can push the full 8000 watts, and it damn well better at that price.

----------------

No doubt it will push the full 8kW, but not on a 20A circuit. That's the point that's trying to be made here. Even at 230V & 20A that's only 4.6kW max. As for the peaking factor, they could use some large capacitors to hit that level very briefly, but then the caps would have to recharge, putting further drain on the circuit until they do. To run this thing you'd need at least a 230V/40A circuit.

John

If it is a crown, I don't doubt it's abilities as a capable amplifier. Regardless of the specifications, if it puts out an honest 2000 watts, which I believe that it is capable of, that is only 6 db less than if it put out 8000. Keep in mind that music is not like a continuous tone, and that there is always peaks higher than the average levels.

----------------

On 2/9/2004 7:34:01 PM michael hurd wrote:

If it is a crown, I don't doubt it's abilities as a capable amplifier. Regardless of the specifications, if it puts out an honest 2000 watts, which I believe that it is capable of, that is only 6 db less than if it put out 8000. Keep in mind that music is not like a continuous tone, and that there is always peaks higher than the average levels.

----------------

Mike,

I agree 100% w/ THAT statement. 8kW is a LOT of power and as you pointed out not much dB gain over something more "reasonable" like 2kW. (Did I actually just say 2kW was reasonable?6.gif )

John