My Experience with the Auris 2 Speakers

Cut-Throat

A lot of people on these forums were interested in my experience with the Auris 2 speakers. I used Welborne Labs Moondogs and their new DRD45 amplifier with this speaker.

In a nutshell, I prefer my Klipsch Belles to the Auris 2 Speakers. I really was pretty happy with my Klispch Belles and SET amplification, but I had to try these after all the hype the Auris 2s were getting on this forum. The Belles are horns and have speed and transparency that the Auris 2 cannot match. Also the Auris 2 had a booming sound to them when reproducing the lower freq. range. This was after I had over 200 hours on the speakers and to my ears they never changed. There were times when I thought the sound was improving, but re-connecting the Belles re-set my brain and ears back to reality. All in all, I thought the Auris 2 was a great speaker, but I much prefer the Belles.

An additional problem was that after 2 weeks, The Auris 2 cabinets cracked in the face due to the Harsh Minnesota Climate (heating - Shrinking and expanding of wood). The builder assured me that he could fix the problem or build me new cabinets, if need be. I told him not to go to the trouble of building new cabinets, since I preferred my current speakers. So, I made a deal with the builder and shipped the speakers to another party that the builder had made an agreement with. Let me also say that the Builder of these speakers; Hans, was a real gentlemen to work with and accommodated me in every way in dealing with these issues.

This speaker Audition cost me at least $2000, so it was not cheap! To all those who are considering this speaker, I would not suggest a leap of faith by buying them without hearing them. At $7-8 Grand you have a few other options. I would find someone in the U.S. that will allow you to audition them. If this cannot be done I could have flown to Holland and visited Hans for a few days much cheaper than this audition cost me. Tulip season would be nice Im sure! I am also pretty sure that you could get an audition from the 2 guys that had these speakers on Audiogon last week.