Water. Damage?

mungkiman

Tomorrow, I have an appointment to look at some Cornwalls from the 60's that are coming into a small, high end audio consignment shop. I called today to see if the Cornwalls had come in early, and they had. The person I spoke with said they wouldn't be ready to audition until tomorrow since the woofer cones were still wet from being "washed". I was told that the speakers were so dusty from storage that they needed cleaning, and time to dry.

Isn't this hard to do with a PAPER cone??? Should I be worried?? What should I look/listen for in addition to obvious deformities and deterioration?

Chris

Yikes! Just hose down the ol' Cornwalls down at the car wash, good as new.

I think you can wet down paper cones to a point, but not like what that guy explains.

You can do it to straighten a warped cone, it ain't easy.

To completely soak it? It would seem like you would ruin the voice-coil.

Why didn't he just blow them off real good with air?

I won't know much more until tomorrow, and will report back. Might even take my camera!

In all fairness, I don't know if there has been any damage or not, but I appreciate the concern. Actually, I don't even know if they were using water, just that the woofers were "wet". This seems to be a fairly knowledgeable shop, and I am hoping for the best, but I am also going to be cautious (take my screwdriver). I probably should have asked more questions, but I was just so damn flabbergasted!

Thanks for any more opinions!