You gotta read this one!

Groovie

2. Other Speaker Brands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suppose that, for some reason, you either decide not to purchase Bose speakers, or you wish to compare Bose with other speakers. What other speakers should you consider? A complete answer to this question is outside the scope of this FAQ --- consult the "Good Sound for Cheap FAQ." But as a short answer, some brands names worth considering include PSB, Paradigm, Thiel, Mirage, Definitive Technology, B&W, Radio Shack LX5 (designed by Linaeum), Magnepan, RDL, KEF, NHT, Signet, Infinity, Spica, Energy, Quad, Martin-Logan, Celestion, Vandersteen, Apogee, Acarian Alon, and dozens of others. This is not to say that everyone loves all of these brands --- some people love them, some people hate them, and you should listen for yourself --- but most people on the audio newsgroups would rate most of these brands above Bose. Some brands names generally considered worse than, equal to, or at least not consistently superior to Bose include Polk, Technics, Klipsch, Sony, JBL, Kenwood, KLH, Pioneer, Cerwin-Vega, Advent, DCM, and dozens of others. Of course, again, opinions vary (Klipsch, in particular, has some strong proponents). Given the long list of worse speakers on the market, its actually rather surprising that only Bose receives such criticism on the audio newsgroups. Boston Acoustics and AR have and apparently still produce some excellent budget speakers but, unfortunately, many mediocre speakers as well.

Here is a link to the authors site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html#BRANDS

and here is their e-mail address, I am sure they welcomes responces, laney@coltrane.colorado.edu

Man they will let you put any garbage on the net!

This has been discussed already in the General Questions section.

My opinion on the matter. I have listend and compared Klipsch to some pretty nice stuff, such as Vienna, Sonus Faber and Martin-Logan. I just found the clarity and detail, not to mention the shear dynamics, to be better in the Klipsch. I honostly think my RF-7s on my B&K Ref 200.7 amp sounded better to me then the Martin-Logan Ascents on that same amp.

As to Klipsch being worse than Bose - HAH! I spent the better part of a day at the local Best Buy comparing the Klipsch Synergy to the Bose stuff. Funny that what is considered Klipsch's lowest end completely embarress alot of what is considered Bose's highest end. The only thing they did not have at Best Buy was thier Wave radios and the 901 floor speakers. I compared a friggan $300 set of ProMedias to the $1,500 Bose AcousticMass 16s, and the ProMedias was much better in sound quality. The Quintets paired with a KSW-10 sub was definitly a step up from the ProMedias, and they easily blew away the Bose. Even the sales associate that was with me (it was the middle of the week and had a day of work off - both me and the S.A. was bored, so I told him, "Hey, lets have a little fun here")even agreed that the Klipsch they had there was all around much better then the Bose.