Should PM 4.1's be quieter than 2.1's?

thadjudkins

Hey, I just got a set of promedia 4.1's to upgrade from my old 2.1's and while they sound great they really don't have the volume that my old 2.1 setup did. Is this normal? If not is anyone familiar with the situation and is there anyhting to do about it? I love the sound, but I'd really like at least the power I had with my 2.1s.

Thanks

/thad

4.1's are a lot louder:

twice the power

twice the satellites

twice the subwoofer drivers

you might want to check all your volume settings on your sound card

(main volume, mp3 volume, wave volume)

then just crank up your 4.1's, also try reposition your sub. I know i was able to add some serious gain with my 2.1's just by placing it in a corner. Try that with your 4.1 sub.

Thats what I thought (and was hoping for) but these really don't have the same oomph. BTW, yes, all the volumes on the system are adjusted. Is there anything to be done with the system itself? I love the surround and the quality (I actually looked over my shoulder twice during a movie last night!) but just wish they were louder. Don't get me wrong, they do go very loud and maintain quality better than the 2.1s but just not as loud.

Any ideas?

/thad

Try hooking them up to a portable CD player. Mine are not that loud when hooked up to my computer, but last night I hooked them up to my TV and almost as high as I could take it was not even half volume, of course it was alot of talking and everything, but I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING WVERYTHING IN MY ROOM SHAKE OR RATTLE. AT FIRST IT WAS COOL BUT NOW IT IS COMPLETELY ANNOYING. I PUT DOUBLE SIDED TAPE ON EVERYTHING, BUT IT RATTLED LOOSE!

----------------

On 2/19/2004 12:41:00 AM 007 wrote:

4.1's are a lot louder:

twice the power

twice the satellites

then just crank up your 4.1's, also try reposition your sub. I know i was able to add some serious gain with my 2.1's just by placing it in a corner. Try that with your 4.1 sub.

----------------

the 4.1 isn't very much louder than the 2.1 @ 110db vs 106db.

----------------

On 2/20/2004 1:18:07 AM jackson_ngo wrote:

----------------

On 2/19/2004 12:41:00 AM 007 wrote:

4.1's are a lot louder:

twice the power

twice the satellites

----------------

the 4.1 isn't very much louder than the 2.1 @ 110db vs 106db.

----------------

thoes stas are just to give you an impression, the 4.1's can go louder then 110 easy. and 4db difference is pretty big.

the 4.1s are only slightly louder and that too in a larger room. The output per satellite on the 4.1s is also less than the 2.1s. The 4.1s dont go upto 110db, they go upto 108db as compared to 2.1s which go 106db, although the 4.1s are louder on paper but they dont give the same impression when u actually listen to them. You might find yourself cranking it up over the half way mark a lot of times while this was never needed with the 2.1s... thats just the way the 4.1s are...

----------------

On 2/22/2004 3:18:18 AM Bohemian_Rhapsody wrote:

the 4.1s are only slightly louder and that too in a larger room. The output per satellite on the 4.1s is also less than the 2.1s. The 4.1s dont go upto 110db, they go upto 108db as compared to 2.1s which go 106db, although the 4.1s are louder on paper but they dont give the same impression when u actually listen to them. You might find yourself cranking it up over the half way mark a lot of times while this was never needed with the 2.1s... thats just the way the 4.1s are...

----------------

I do aggree with u...personally, i find myself crank up my 4.1 most of the time. I'm using 2.1 on my system about 80% of my total usage, i sheldom use my rear speakers. Acording to paper, the 4.1 are pushing more power to their sats than the 2.1.

Well, I've been using my 4.1s for a couple of days and I don't think I can go back:) I do find that I crank them almost all the way up where I never took my 2.1's about about 66% Where the 2.1s started to lose quality the 4.1s sound good almost all the way up.

Though I'm suprised they're not louder (I expected twice as loud as the 2.1s) I am perfectly happy with them.

/thad

Jackson, you are very right. I had a discussion about this the other day: Twice the power doesnt mean twice as loud. Now, the PM 4.1 may be able to play a few decibles higher ( I am not very familiar with the PM 2.1, I have only used them once because my school has them) but it may not be very noticible.