Floyd Quality Sound

AnalOg

Piranah,

I have a Rogue 88 amp and in the triode mode, its sounds quite nice on Khorns. Very full sound, tight bass and good detail. The soundstage is wide and deep and best of all, the amp is very quiet. I prefer the SE amps' sound and think that the Rogue's 30w (triode) or 60w (ultralinear) is a bit overkill on 104dB speakers but if you like to ROCK OUT! at earbleeding levels then the Rogue is a great amp and one of the best values out there.

Have fun -Bryan

Jordan,

I left out a lot of bands... ELP was a favorite of mine but to tell you the truth, I haven't listened to any of their albums in years. I even bought the Manticore "Bootlegs" CD a few months ago and still haven't found the opportunity to play it. Go figure. Of all the prog bands I followed back in the day, I still listen to King Crimson and Gentle Giant the most with Genesis coming in a very distant 3rd. I spin the other bands on very rare occasions when the mood strikes or when one of my high school buds show up and we try to re-live the past.

BTW, for all you prog fans, Happy the Man is working on a new album and they say it should be available in time for NEARfest (June-July). I saw them a few years ago when they resurfaced and the new material is just as good as the old stuff. The Genesis fans in the forum should check out the band, Musical Box if they get a chance. They do really spot-on cover of the Peter Gabriel-era Genesis and will be touring the east coast this summer including a performance at the pre-NEARfest show. Also, King Crim fans should look for the 21st Century Schizoid Band who are touring later this spring. The band is made up of ex-Crim members Peter Giles, Mel Collins, Ian Wallace, Ian McDonald, etc. from the early years. They'll be in DC in late April and I've heard they put on a great show - even without Fripp.

Have fun -Bryan

The new remix of Dark Side of the Moon for DVD was not done by Alan Parsons, interestingly, but by the engineer who has mixed most of PFs tracks since the 1970s (his name escapes me right now). He obviously built upon Parson's initial mix, making changes mainly in use of the surround channels. About a year ago an pair of articles appeared in Sound & Vision (formerly Stereo Review); the first one was an interview with the engineer who mixed the DVD, then the second article was an interview with Alan Parsons, who listened to the new mix and commented on it. It was certainly one of the most interesting articles to appear in that magazine in a long time. To echo the initial post, it is hard to believe how sophisticated the engineering was on the 1973 release. Remember that the band experimented with multichannel sound at their concerts, including large rear speaker banks in the concert venues.

Just some info on Pink Floyds concert sound system.

There were no experiments when it came to Pink Floyds concert sound system. Pink Floyd (inc. Roger Waters solo tours) have always utilized a quad pa system starting back in 1972 and continued until there last tour which ended in 1995. In 2001 Roger Waters embarked on his "In the Flesh" tour and also utilized a quad PA system. Pink Floyd was the first band to design a quad PA system for live sound reinforcement; it was called the azimuth coordinator. I have been blessed with the opportunity to have seen them live every tour since 1972, including the Wall concert and 3 solo tours of Roger Waters and Daves solo tour. (As a footnote David Gilmour did not use a quad PA system for his solo tour in 1984 where as Roger used one for all 3 of his)

Ok enough on Floyds concert sound.

I would say there were some very good recordings that were done in the 70's that still hold there own today. My gold DSOTM sounds great as does a couple of my Genesis cd's. I have several DVD Audio disc's that were first released in the 70's and in this new format the remix is outstanding. One that comes to mind is DVD Audio ELP Brain Salad Surgery. The bass is just to die for.

Anyway thats MHO.

10.gif

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:36:08 PM fini wrote:

Darn! I thought we were finally getting a thread started on Barbershop Quartets!

----------------

briefly covered in "Music you are Ashamed to Admit You Listen to" thread... a.k.a. the music to end any party faster than a police raid.

Forrest

(whose Barbershop Quartet, FourPleigh, sang for President Reagan in January, 1981... and yes, in a sick way, I'm very proud of that)