Got a chance to listen to some other speakers today

yromj

My morning meeting got "moved" to early afternoon, so I had some time to kill. I was driving around a small town and saw an audio store and dropped in. They carried Klipsch and Paradigm. I had listened to Paradigm a couple of times before, but only their bookshelves. (Arkansas isn't the best place to live and have this hobby, just so you know.) They had some atoms and titans, but they also had some Monitor 11s. I listened to them w/ 2-channel music.

They are definitely not as bright as Klipsch, even paired w/ a Yamaha 1300 receiver. In fact I thought they were lacking some detail. The biggest thing I noticed was the soundstage. I didn't find it nearly as large as the Klipsch. Even w/ my "meager" RB-25s, I have always found the soundstage to be very impressive. Vocals seem to be coming from the TV screen when playing a 2-channel CD in stereo. The Paradigms didn't fill in the middle of the soundstage for me.

Have any of you noticed anything like this or could it have been the setup?

John

Could you please explain sound stage? I am a novice to the terms. If I were to guess, I would use the info gained from manuals when they address where you should put speakers in the room, and the stage is where the majority of all the sound waves "meet". I would think the only way you could truely compare is to place the speakers in the exact same location. Because if one set was placed closer to a corner it would gain or loose from the deflection from the corner. We have a store were I live that sells almost exculsively Paradigm but that makes me think they are the best margin for them especially since Paradigm does a very good job "protecting" their dealers.

I do like my sub however!9.gif but please tell me if I would like a klipsch sub better and if so which one?

Soundstage is the "image" created by stereo speakers. When listening to well recorded stereo music, you should be able to "locate" various part of the music on the soundstage. For example, on my system, when I play Norah Jones' music it sounds like her singing is coming out of the center channel speaker, even though it's not on. You can also hear the placement of different instruments etc.

The Paradigms I listened to didn't seem to me to fill in the center of the soundstage. That is to say that the voices seemed to be coming out of the left and right speakers. On my system at home the sound doesn't seem to come from the speakers, but instead where it was positioned during the recording. Of course some CDs, aren't recorded as well as others.

That's the main reason I asked the question. I wasn't familiar w/ the CD the guy was playing (I believe it was Blue's Traveler) and it could have been an issue with the CD. But I still feel the voices were too localized to the speakers, instead of being present in the center of the soundstage.

As for the sub, if you like it stay w/ it. I'm not sure which sub you have, but the Paradigm sub they were using sounded pretty good. Since I was only interested in the tower demo, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the sub, or demo any movies to test the sub either.

John

----------------

On 2/21/2004 7:05:07 PM Gary W. Graley wrote:

There's a little town called Hope you might want to visit...

12.gif

G2

----------------

Yea, I know. Klipsch used to have a factory in Hot Springs about a mile from my house!! That's back when I wasn't into this hobby, though. I don't know if that was good or bad.

John