ohm loadage-action

ShinyAltec

my friend has a pro-media 5.1 setup for his comp

the sub on that thing is kinda weak and bottoms out easily

we are going to build a new sub box with probably a 12 or 10

so, my question is

the current sub has 2 eights i believe, now, are they single voice coil or dual?? and what is their individual ohm loads??

thx,

shinyaltec

Hmmmm... if you are getting rid of the existing sub, why would you need the resistance of it's drivers? If you are planning on reusing the existing amp, this may not be a good idea for several reasons:

1) undoubtedly it has an integrated EQ to make the original woofers sound flat. This will not match you new driver, and may boost weird frequencies.

2) The amp isn't designed with a large safety factor... and it is probably clipping when your drivers are bottoming out. The only way it'll play louder, will be if the new driver is more efficient the original.

If you simply use a new plate amp with your new sub... the above points are mute, as well as the resistance of the original driver.

Good luck...

Rob

PS: You can get a general idea of the resistance by removing the drivers and measuring them with a standard multimeter.

well, considering me and my buddy are into car audio and are used to high quality 12's and 10's putting out sub 30 hz tones without a problem, at way over 100 db, these 8's just arent doin it for him.

I thought about the eq on the sub, but I wasn't sure if it had one. No one knows for sure huh? Because we were going to find out what the ohm loads are, then we were gonna get a better woofer, probably 10 and port it around 28 hz. But I guess he's just gonna have to deal with it, unless there is no eq...

thx

ShinyAltec