Limiting Woofer Range-HOW>?

DwK

I have two 12 inch woofers, that are currently on my Fishers..

I wanna take them off and make 2 Subwoofers.

But what do I need to limit the frequencies the Woofer will recieve?

I was thinking about 20-150 hz range.

I will probobly end up selling them next year for 40 bucks.. or if I like them, keeping them...

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Gee, you haven't gotten any replies.

Also, we don't know much about the original set up, or where you want to go.

It might be that the Fishers were in a sealed box originally. If so, about the best you can do is make sealed boxes of the same volume. At least then you're re-creating the same environment the designer had in mind. Could well be done. But you could just as well use the original box.

It is not going to be practical to set up a system which has bigger and better bass response using these drivers. At least not without a lot of measurements and caluculations, including expensive equipment and big ramp up in your technical knowledge. Even then, you are probably up against a brick wall of the limitations of the drivers.

It is a pleasant notion that one can take the drivers out of an old design and tinker together something equivalent to a modern sub. However, that is seldom possible. Kinda like making a new Camaro out of an old Chevy, in the back yard.

The issue would be to design a cross over network.

The Parts Express catalog has some elementry designs which you could use. Order the catalog from the website.

It is not impossible that you design a cross over to cut off frequencies above 80 Hz and feed it with an amplifier. This all would be a bit crude and a shot in the dark. However, it would be an introduction to speaker building and modification. If you want to go that way. Frankly, I think time and money could be much better invested otherwise.

If you want to build a modern sub on your own, Parts Express has the Titanic series. They'll sell you the box, the driver and an amp. A weekend project, which would be fun.

The bottom line is that improvements can't be done on a shoe string budget. Sorry.

Regards,

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-28-2001 at 11:12 PM

Thanks for the Reply

I think I found a way to do it... but I wanna test it, before I buy the parts.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds