Improvement on dynaco 70 for Cornwalls?

swami49

After trying SS amps, I got a stock dynaco 70 for my Cornwalls. It sounds excellent. However, a number of tubophiles have suggested that either a low power set amp, (one suggested the Decware Zen) or a set of quicksilver mini monos would greatly improve the sound. I am hesitant to go through the upgrade process (and spend the money) unless there would be a significant difference. Would appreciate any opinions regarding the relative value of upgrading. BTW, system is hooked up to a Rega Planet CD and a Acurus Act-3 pre at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

swami49

The Dynaco is a nice amp. There are mods for it that will improve performance.

If you listen at levels that are normally associated with non-amplified acoustic instruments, I would recommend considering SET. You can keep the Dynacos for high volume sessions and use the SET for quieter sessions with more low level detail.

By quiet, I mean levels normally achieved by a medium sized chamber orchestra or small jazz ensemble. More than plenty of volume for me.

Leo

Rebuild the Stereo 70 using AVAs mods outlined in their Stereo Basics newsletter from the early 80s. It makes a very large difference on the Stereo 70 and is also very inexpensive to do. I think I replaced every resistor and capacitor for about $70 including the large can cap. in the power supply.

Shawn

If you would like to do a guick inexpensive mod which will make for clearer sound, Strap it into quasi-triode.

Get 4 100ohm 1 watt resistors from Radio Shack or elsewhere. Remove the ultralinear lead from pin # 4 on each of the four EL-34 output tubes and tape the ends. Solder the resistors between the plate leads at pin # 3 to pin #4 where the leads were removed. Check the bias and enjoy!1.gif

Rick

If it is stock, does that mean it has all original parts? If so, there are some "fixes" you will really want to do, or should do. Get a replacement for the power supply caps. Not too expensive, and might save you blowing the thing up. I still have the 7199 tubes in mine, and don't mind them, but many folks do the front end mods which means replacing that printed circuit board with a different design.

Mark is right, with some inexpensive tweaks, it is a great amp for the money. I think it is like the volkswagen of amps, built for the masses.

Marvel

Thanks to all for their responses and encouragement. I will try the quasi-triode mod, and when I get the courage, the front-end replacement. I've never done more than change a fuse or solder lugs, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks again, and if anyone has an opinion vis-a-vis Curcio Audio mod vs. others, I'd love to hear it.

Sam1.gif