OT: Holy crap I think I just quit my job and started a business

damonrpayne

----------------

On 2/25/2004 8:38:36 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Damon, welcome to the club re "not hearing back." I went to Ulimate today and asked the manager point blank why he has never chased down a quote for me, and he said "You don't really look like a Klipsch owner."

I told him he needed to schedule an eye exam, and also that I own over half a ton of Klipsch speakers. His actual words when it registered were "Oh pluck me." He actually followed me out to the car in the parking lot, apologizing as he tried to call his buyer in Denver. I'll drive to Chicago to buy Klipsch before I buy from this ...
10.gif

----------------

I love this story!

on a similar vein--but not about Klipsh (sorry!)but it is about FLANNERS the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck....

I use to have a Phase Techology (PC 1000) 2 channel system, with NAD components, that was very musical and suited me well. I needed a new tweeter for one of the speakers, so I called Phase Technology in Florida, and they said to go to FLANNER'S, as they were their dealer in the area. I went there, and they first--wouldn't help me (I was about 24 at the time) or even look at me. I politely asked for some assistance in their service department, and was literally ignored face to face. I then told them what I needed. They said that it was impossible for them to get that part and that I needed to bring the speakers in for repair. I told them that Phase Technology told me to order the part through your company. They then told me that they wouldn't do that, but they would for $350.00 determine if thats what needed to be fixed. I went home, rather pissed and called phase tech back. I eventually got the tweeter directly from them, skipping Flanners entirely. took the hex nuts out, replaced the tweeter and put it back together good as new.

The next time I went to FLANNERS i wanted to demo the Definitive Technology BP3000 and 2000TL towers for the home theater I wanted to build. I had 6000 in cash, in my pocket at the time ready to buy if I was so inclined, and more in the bank ready to be spent. I was first ignored, then when I approached a salesman, he condescended to me. The kicker--They refused to demo the speakers for me. Refused! I asked and they actually said no. They felt that I was just some punk wasting their time I guess. I eventually went back to the salesman that ignored me and happily told him what I had purchased, and how it wasn't from him or his elitist bastard store.

I ended up putting together their "high end" home theater setup on my own, for about 6k less than they would have charged me.

Flanners is a joke IMO. Just a step or two over Best Buy.

I was in there about 3 years ago to see the new Mcintosh equipment. When I saw they did not have any I asked why and they told me that they did not think the new Mcintosh equipment was up to the quality that they want to sell.

I started laughing and pointed out that they sell Sony and Yamaha. You mean to tell me there quality is better than Mcintosh. It sure was funny to me, and sure sounded like a joke.

I also ran into John Flanner at a party a year and a half ago, and I asked him if he was going to carry the newly released Heritage line. He told me NO, that they did not see moving enough of them to make a go of it. I pointed out to him that when I stopped in there a few weeks earlier, when the salesman I was talking too found out I was a Heritage guy, told me about a pair of Belles they took in trade. They sold them the same afternoon and as word tricked out, they had people comming in over the next week to see if they still had them for sale. What an idiot.

JM

• 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/11/2004 4:33:58 PM SoundBroker wrote:

Own my own audio and home theater biz the past couple of years. I must be out of my f**king mind!

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Oxnard CA

----------------

wow! thats some nice gear and setups you have there...when I buy a house you'll be the first place I go....

DamonRpayne pointed out the chairs to me--your price is FANTASTIC!! beats everyone else...

• 3 weeks later...

Ray Garrison. Thats cool, I checked out your link. I actually just left an Executive position at a logistics brokerage firm. We were dealing with fresh produce mostly(long hauls) and some imports by air from Europe to our East Coast ports, getting them through customs and shipped. Best of luck!

I'm a mule...the Air Force owns me! The pay blows, the hours suck, and the women are butch. At least I get paid enough to buy some Natty Light :)

The grass is always greener...but don't step in the poo