JBL Control 5's

BigBusa

I have a pair of these and have been using them as rear speakers for a short while. I bring in other speakers and a/b test them against the jbl's but so far none has come close. For a little speaker these things are awesome! I just won 2 pairs of NIB wall mounts on ebay. Soon They'll be up on the walls. I think I'll grab another pair of control 5 speakers from ebay for future 7.1 use ...if I ever get there!

ae_1_b.JPG

the jbl control series is a great line of speakers... there are designed for permanent installs in the commercial/professional area.... i sell the line to dealers and contractors....

the smaller speakers in this line will blow away anything available in a consumer speaker around the same price point... the ones you have listed - the control 5's are under $100 retail.... the control 23 and control 25 speakers are also great small speakers for under $150 each....

you can check them out here...

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/control.htm

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/install/cc_surface.htm

I think a true test of a good speaker is that they still make it after many years. The control 5 has been around basically unchanged for decades. The ones I bought were used and old enough that the woofer surrounds were toast. I had them refoamed with a lifetime warranty for $50 total and now they're as good as new!

Another interesting thing is the JBL logo is made to turn so if you mount the speakers horizontally you can spin the logo horizontal also. That's quality right there! It's the little things.

minn-male what is the best way to mount them ...the wall brackets (mtc-51) or the ceiling brackets (mtc-52)? How much do you sell the brackets for?

----------------

On 2/24/2004 10:07:46 PM BigBusa wrote:

minn-male what is the best way to mount them ...the wall brackets (mtc-51) or the ceiling brackets (mtc-52)? How much do you sell the brackets for?

----------------

we don't stock the brackets for these speakers..... but i will post tomorrow from work the prices of each bracket....

as for the best way..... it depends upon your situation.... with high ceilings, a wall mount usually works better.... with lower ceilings, a ceiling mount usually is the preferred method.....

1.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2004 9:49:36 PM Bill H. wrote:

Russ,

its rated for 75w per channel. Son is using it at college............plays alternative music....at parties, and I assume pretty loudly.

At first I thought of the S-38's...............----------------

bill,

(you have mail)

and yes... the sansui should have no problem pushing the control speakers to very loud levels!....

all of the control series speakers will blow away any jbl series that you can get at best buy..... price and sound!

just as a side note about jbl speakers....

as a distributor of professional/commercial audio equipment.... i hear alot of pro speakers daily.... electrovoice, jbl, near, bogen, quam, altec-lansing, community, peavey, soundtube, etc,

jbl probably has the sound that sounds most like my home system - klipsch klf30's with full surround

electrovoice is a close second......

1.gif

minnmale thanks

When I first connect the control 5's I wasn't expecting much from these plastic looking, light weight, smallish speakers.

But, I was blown away! I quickly a/b'ed 3 other similar sized speakers I had on hand. None came even close.

The highs are crystal clear on these little beauties.