Need a VCR/DVD-R Combo???

jagangjee

Any suggestions?

I can't really find any of these things out there. A dear friend of mine is retiring, and his wife mentioned that he really wanted a DVD-R that he could convert home movies that were on VHS to DVD. Can anyone give me any suggestions, recomondations, or where I can find these things at? Also what is the price range of these units, as alway any and all help is appreciated!

TIA!

JAG

Haven't seen/heard of such a thing. My suggestion would be to get a stand alone DVD-R, hook the VCR into the inputs, and record that way. You may need something to help with copy protection though, I know of a device called the copymaster that is supposed to bypass copy protection and give you a nice solid picture, but have never used it myself. This is just on pre-recorded titles that you have to worry about copy protection, for home videos he made himself it will not be an issue.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 9:12:23 AM jagangjee wrote:

Any suggestions?

I can't really find any of these things out there. A dear friend of mine is retiring, and his wife mentioned that he really wanted a DVD-R that he could convert home movies that were on VHS to DVD. Can anyone give me any suggestions, recomondations, or where I can find these things at? Also what is the price range of these units, as alway any and all help is appreciated!

TIA!

JAG

----------------

Buy a separate high quality S-VHS player by Mitsubishi and a good stout DVD-R standalone (the high-end Phillips with the Faroudja DCDi processing would be ideal).

Every one of those combos I've run into just plain old suck. Recording quality sucks, input options suck, video output sucks.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 10:41:57 AM toddvj wrote:

Haven't seen/heard of such a thing. My suggestion would be to get a stand alone DVD-R, hook the VCR into the inputs, and record that way. You may need something to help with copy protection though, I know of a device called the copymaster that is supposed to bypass copy protection and give you a nice solid picture, but have never used it myself. This is just on pre-recorded titles that you have to worry about copy protection, for home videos he made himself it will not be an issue.

----------------

Several companies make the DVD-R + VHS combos - but they're low-end manufacturers like Sansui (Funai) and Go-Video.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 3:34:47 PM jagangjee wrote:

So my only option at this point is to get him a higher end stand-alone DVD-R, and have him connect it to his VCR by means of S-Video if posisble.

I guess the reason why I am having a difficult time finding one of these units is because they don't make one?

----------------

I'm telling you that they make them - but they're crap. Funai corp (makers of fine Symphonic, Sylvania, and Sansui products 14.gif ) and Go-Video are the only current manufacturers.

I just got done today installing a very nice Mitsubishi HS-775 S-VHS player and a Phillips DVDR-80 DVD recorder into a gentleman's system after we tried both the Sansui and the Go Video combos. The picture quality difference was ASTOUNDING - and we had to (due to lack of outputs on his DirecTV receiver) route from receiver to VCR to DVD-R with S-Video. It was still miles better than those junk combo units.

If your friend really insists on going cheap, the Sansui can be found at Sears and the Go-Video can be found in most Radio Schlocks.

Best Buy also sells a "Polaroid" DVDR/VCR combo that sucks equally as bad.