Sound difference between Sf-3 and RF-35?

Question4U

I would really appreciate some opinions on the sound difference between the SF-3 and the RF-35. I know that rf uses the titanium tweeter and sf uses aluminum, along with the difference with woofers (copper), but how does that affect the sound?

If there isn't much of a difference in sound, does the RF just have better quality components?

any opinions related to this is appreciated. BTW, ive listened to the SF...but cannot find anywhere to listen to the RF...hence my question..Thanks in advance if you can help me out!

One post per question is fine, you'll get your responses eventually.

The Reference series are, like you pointed out, constructed better (and differently) and look much cooler as well. As for sound, there is a night and day difference. If you use the search function on this site, I'm sure you will find more places in SF that have RF speakers available for you to demo than you could hit up in one day. Use the function. Don't buy until you listen.

ok, i went to a dealer today and checked them out. you know what? sure, the klipsch are better sounding to me than boston acoustics, b&w etc. but, it's odd, the SF-3 just sounds better to me than the any of the RFs. Call me crazy, that's fine. The dealer was using a Rotel tuner. I don't get it. I mean i think the sf-2 and sf-1 sound like crap, don't get me wrong, but i just really like the sf-3. i guess my taste is cheap. lmao. anyways, im settled with what im going to do now. just need to research about the other components though. i may go RF for them. thanks anyways.

From what I can remember , both in here & talking to other people, is the SF-3 is *basically* an RF-3 (maybe an RF3II) made with the Synergy line cones/horn. I have 3IIs and will upgrade them when I can afford 7s. I wasn't overly impressed with the 35s in an A/B comparo of the 35s to 3IIs. Let ur ears tell you ... if *YOU* like the SF3s ... get 'em. peace, mitch

I've thought a bit about things. the room i auditioned the RFs in was rather large compared to my home setup. I think that it was better suited to the RF-7s since they put out more sound at same volume setting. It really was too big a space to compare to my room at home. Ideally I would like to hear the SF-3 with a RF-35 side by side at home.....but...I can't. So, I'm going to give it another shot at another dealer where hopefully the area is smaller. But to be honest, I did not notice much sound (tonal characteristics) difference (if any at all) between the RFs (RF-35, RF-5, RF-7) except for the amount of volume pushed at the same volume setting. and no kidding, the SF-3 sounds pretty damn good. Actually seemed smoother than the RFs.

Like I said, I'll try another place. I've returned the SF-3s and will keep an open mind. No reason to be biased since I don't own either anymore. Nothing to sway me either way now besides their sound.

I wonder if the aluminum driver in the SF-3 causes for more smoothness in mid-range compared to the titanium of the RFs? Anyone know for sure if aluminum driver compared to titanium driver has affect on sound? Is it significant?

The size of the room probably affected my opinion at first though. The room was very wide, long, and with a high ceiling. Definitely made the RF-7 seem to stand out since it could push more at the same volume setting. I guess it is a good marketing ploy for those that don't think about room size. lol.

I'll repost some time this weekend if I get to hear the RFs in a different setting. I'm sure most of you know what you want, but in case there is someone else out there that is new to Klipsch that gets so hooked on an SF-3 after visiting a best buy that they are on this board, I figure it couldn't hurt to post an opinion for them.

Peace

i've been able to compare the RF-3II with the SF-3 in very similar settings and the difference isn't significant at all. both speakers are the same design, just built out of slightly different parts. And based on lots of reading, the RF-3II and the RF-35 sound extremely similar to each other. that said, I would say there is very little difference between the SF-3 and the RF-35.

However, taking that slight difference into consideration, the RF series is definetly the better speaker...and in the long run, you might want to go the reference route just in case you plan on upgrading in the future...and then your RF-35s would match better with say the RF-7s. Also, the RF center channel speakers are significantly better than the synergy line. That might be something to take into consideration.

• 3 months later...

The RF series are better looking . The sf-3 sounds as good! basically same speaker. Cabinets are the same tech. too. Uses older material for woofers as used in KLF LEGEND SERIES. Only the RF-7 is better $2000 a pair. I have sf-3 and love them . I also Have KLF LEGEND 10's . The sf-3 sounds better. The legends have a little better bass output (very little diference). I like the SF-3 better.

I will jump in on this one guys. Although the specs dont tell the story, I would look for the Reference series loudspeakers to be similar, but better loudspeakers in the long run, even if huge differences are NOT immediately obvious. Compared to the Synergy series loudspeakers, the Reference series should be far more competent at recreating music. They should NOT sound as if they are working hard at their job. Many of the tasks that pushed your lesser loudspeakers will come easily. Look for better definition of vocals and instruments, better separation between instruments, improved imaging, better bass definition and smoother tones across the mid-range. Multiple instruments playing all at once should sound less jumbled. Vocals should be clearer and more realistic. Loud volumes should be tolerated better, by both the loudspeaker and you. A greater range of musical types should sound good on the loudspeaker. More intimate recordings, such as jazz or classical solos, may seem more compelling than before. Experiment and enjoy. ;)