Belle Klipsch - Available For Sale

gullahisland

Hi,

It may seem rather spurious (or is it suspicious) that a brand new poster would be listing an item for sale.

I actually learned about this BB through my research regarding the marketability of my Belles. I do have a fair amount of feedback on AudiogoN under the same username if you want to check it out.

Anyhow, it may be a bit premature to list these as I can already anticipate that y'all are going to have a TON of questions for me and want to seee A LOT of pictures.

I'm going to my in-laws this weekend to pick them up, so I don't have a lot of details to share at the moment, but I do know that they're oak with black grills. As for condition, when last I saw them, they were in EXCELLENT condition with only minor scratches around bottoms. There should be NO water stains or scratches on the tops.

I do have a couple of photos (one of which is attached to this post) and perhaps some of you who are more expert than I can ascertain as to their vintage and pedigree.

Based upon my research, I have concluded that (given the current market and the overall condition of the speakers) they should fetch somewhere between $1,800-2,400. I will therefore ask for $2,150 or best offer.

I am located in the SF Bay area and would be willing to deliver them ANYWHERE in California and as far as Oregon, Nevada, etc. Basically anywhere within an 8-10 hour drive of the Bay Area. All I ask is that you help me with gas as I'll be driving a Suburban and, at 12-14 mpg and gas currently at $2.05/gallon it can get pretty spendy to drive these days.

The good news, of course, is that it helps to assure a safe delivery and an inspection upon purchase.

Finally, if you're completely out of the area but are willing to make arrangements for shipment, I'm open to ideas. I just think that it would be pretty risky and the cost of packing and shipping would probably make it prohibitive.

Feel free to give me a call or drop me a line. I can be reached at 209.740.8864.

I figured I'd offer them up here before I move on to AudiogoN or...perish the thought...EBAY! Yuck!

I've really enjoyed reading through some of the threads here. I recognize some of the usernames from AudiogoN and AudioAsylum, but many others are new to me. You guys are a WEALTH of information.

After I've picked them up this weekend, I can check serial numbers and send as many photos as you'd like.

Happy listening to you all!

-Dan2.gif

post-14706-13819253039558_thumb.gif

I just took the time to check the photo... you are right they are walnut and not oak! I just sent an email asking for the serial numbers so that I can date them and anticipate how much, if any, I will have to modify them to match the others in this new configuration. Believe it or not, I will be using them as monopole surrounds in a new Heritage set-up anchored by walnut Klipschorns. Additional reply info is in the email. Thanks for giving us old Forum folk an opportunity to give them a good home. =HornEd

Thanks Ed,

I'm picking them up this weekend, but I can give a call to find out the serial numbers. I'll shoot you a message as soon as I've got 'em.

I'm at work and, due to our corporate firewall, am unable to check messages remotely. But, HEY! At least I can surf the internet and post to audio bulletin boards all day!10.gif

Forrest, you caught me at an inopportune time. I have scads of posts on the subject of monopole, dipole, bipole and tripole speakers. A monopole speaker includes all the Heritage speakers... and most of the other Klipsch offerings other than some specially designed side-surrounds that use WDST technology... a tripole speaker by some other manufactures description.

A monopole loudspeaker is one that aims all of its speakers in the same direction. A monopole speaker allows the listener to determine the direction the sound is coming from because of its direct sound waves and the slightly delayed reflected sound waves.

A bipole loudspeaker has two speakers aimed in opposite directions... with none aimed toward the listener. Thus, only reflected waves reach the listener and there is the illusion that the sound is coming from every direction. This is the key to the so called "theater sound" which was actually devised to make every seat in the house mediocre... and, thus, equal.

A dipole speaker is similar to a bipole speaker but it further confuses the ear by being wired out of phase. This is the speaker touted by the THX standard which was originally designed to make mediocre sound surrounds in theaters. Personally, I think it is an assault on one's hearing and the epitome of unnatural sound effects.

A tripole has one speaker aimed at the listener... it is usually tuned to the low mid-range... and other than that it has two speakers arranged like the bipole above. The WDST approach by Klipsch uses a variant of this approach.

One advantage of bipole, dipole and tripole speakers is that they tend to offset bad acoustic characteristics of a room by forcing so many reflected sounds hitting the ear at nearly the same time that the bad and good acoustic aspects get muddled together. And, let's face it, it's a cheap way to get pretty good sound. The worst example of this technique has created the largest speaker manufacturing company in the world... Bose!

Monopole speakers have another advantage in that they allow the listener to enjoy the benefits of timbre-matching. Timbre is like the "voice quality" of a speaker. Most of the systems I build use six or seven identical monopoles so that a sound from any speaker in a 7.1 system sounds very much the same. This technique produces, IMHO, the most natural sounding home theater system and makes the most of the best DVD editing to be found in most modern offerings.

I am also fond of subwoofer arrays that produce the entire spectrum available on a Dolby DVD... 121.5 dB at 20 Hz!

Following my monopole formulas, one can usually get the best performance out of any speaker price range. Hope this quickie helps! =HornEd

PS: The "HORNozontalizED" centers are Klipsch floor standers that have the motorboards replaced with custom units so that the speakers can be mounted horizontally. Actually, I not only use this technique on the front center but for all the surrounds as well. The front center speaker is called upon by DVD mixers to provide upwards of 75% of the Total Sound of all the speakers in your system! Thus, having the center speaker match your left and right mains is the most impressive speaker upgrade one can make in a home theater. Music buffs can rest assured that the left and right mains are the most important speakers for CD's and other non-multichannel music fare. =H.E.

Forrest,

Just think what Horn Ed would of told you if he had the time???? You can't beat his explanations and experience.

I try to achive more envelopment and a non directional sound by using two direct radiator speakers. I use a Jensen Imperial cabinet loaded with Klipschorn drivers for the bottom speaker. It's kind of like a Klipschorn, but doesn't need a corner. Upside down on top of that is a LaScala aimed in another direction. I think this combo works quite nice and the full range speakers really come alive with SACDs and DVD-Audio. I'll find a picture and post it.

Hey, Q-Man! I just yesterday picked up a pair of Jensen speakers, model CN-100. Do you happen to have any info on these? I'd open them up, but they're out in the back of the truck (until my wife goes back to work on Monday...2.gif ).

Ah, Gullahisland has become important to me for the second time in my life. The first time was when I was given a sourdough starter by a professional baker that I had helped with some baking advice. She had gotten from her aunt... who had gotten it from a former Gullah slave that had been entrusted with keeping the starter alive when she was on a plantation near Charleston. Gullahs were black people who were enslaved and brought to island plantations. The remoteness and their servitude banded together the wisdom and customs of several tribes... along with that of their "masters" (Not saying they deserved such a title)... to evolve a language, customs and religion that are still unique.

This new "Gullahisland" experience is all the more special since HornEd is scheduled to pick up another pair of Belle Klipsch speakers to serve as surrounds in a 7.1 Klipschorn/Belle configuration for the new home I will build for my new bride. Dan (Gullahisland) said he would assure fini and everyone else that I am indeed alive... and give you a report on the Swiss Miss that will be at my side when we pick up the Belles.

This makes way over a dozen Klipsch speakers that I have purchased from Forum folk... but only the second purchase from folks in the S.F. Bay Area. Every purchase has been great for all concerned... and, of course, I have bought even more Klipsch speakers from dealers! I think it's smart of the Klipsch minions to encourage this Forum for it creates an after market to bolster the Klipsch value image... as well as creating a desire for new Klipsch purchases. But, most of all, the fact that so many people from so many walks of life can get together with their ideas is a wonderful microcosm of a together world.

I appreciate Dan giving us Forum folk the opportunity to buy the Belles. Another local person had agreed to buy the speakers after seeing them on AudiogoN, but Dan gave me the opportunity because I met the price and had asked first. And, again, thanks to Klipsch for allowing us Forum Folk to do our buying and selling in such a caring cyber-environment. =HornEd

----------------

On 2/28/2004 1:11:31 PM mungkiman wrote:

Fini,

Closest I could find was CT-100. Similiar?

This info was found at www.hifilit.com

Chris

----------------

Thanks, Chris. It is similar. I guess the CN-100 is a later version of the CT-100. I opened it up and took a few shots. I'll post them later this afternoon/evening. I'm taking a little breathert (literally) from hanging Hardibacker in the bathroom.