Question for Al Klappenberger

3dzapper

Al, I have a pair of Altec 511B/ 808/8A combos on the way to have some fun with and have been researching here on the forum. Well here is the question: did you ever find the settings for the ALK network and an 8 ohm driver?

How are you doing with your web site problems? What happened to crash it?

Rick

Rick,

"did you ever find the settings for the ALK network and an 8 ohm driver?"

They are the same as for a 16 ohm driver.

Before you use the 808s on the 511s consider trying the K55Vs on the 511s so you can hear the difference the horn makes alone. You would need to drill three holes in the mounting plate of the 511s (easy) and would need 2 adapters which I'll send you my old pair if you want.

Shawn

Rick,

As Shawn said, the attenuation setting are the same for 8 Ohm drivers if they have the same efficiency. This is something that just works out. Be carefull though, I don't think that driver will take much power at 400 Hz. I would bet it's only rated down to 500. I would use the K55 until I was sure about that.

My web site was "hacked" about a week ago. To complicate things by server operator decided to go out of business at the same time. I moved everything to another web server operator, a local guy, who turned out to be such a HUGE A-hole I couldn't work with him. I finally told him to purge the system and I started off new. To make matters worse, the guy insisted on moving my domain name (alkeng.com) from one registeration company to another (DomainDescover to DirectNIC). The guy changed all the ownership and control to himself in the process! MAN, was I ticked! That wasted two more days until I finally got control back. The new sight is finally up again. Email is still out, so you need to email to me at my ISP address (alk@toad.net). 8.gif

What a mess!

Al K.

Wow! That is "trouble" with your web site. I thought maybe your server crashed or you were updating. I didn't know you were going to hello and back. Glad to see you got most of it worked out though.1.gif

Yes the driver is a 500 hz unit but has the tangerine phase plug which allows for a good deal of motion. Shawn is sending me his spare pair of adapters so I can try the 511Bs both ways.

Rick

Rick,

I think the disadvntage of the tangerine plug is a somewhat lower power handeling capability. I would be carefull with any power becasue a 6 dB / octave woofer filter will not stop hardly any low frequency energy. High diaphram motion not only collides phase plugs and diaphragms, but it generates distortion too! I you have the AK-_ netwroks you might be safer than with the AA or with my design.

Al K.