RF-3IIs, I love them but they get harsh at high volumes.

Pistol Pete

I just made a little tweak to my HTR5550/RF3II setup that made a world of diff. I have a 14x24 tile floored living room (wheelchairs don't roll easy on carpet 3.gif ) with a 7-foot sleeper/sofa along one wall in front of sliding louvered doors to the furnace niche, window w/drapes & a 56" wide hutch on the other wall. My 3IIs sounded good but just were a little 'shallow' sounding for my ears so while listening to a live CD that I'm *very* familiar with I first moved the speakers about 5 more inches away from the wall. Noticeable improvement but needed a bit more, so I played with the bass and settled on putting it to +1 ... ohhh yeah, John's djimbay (sp?) intro on WitD really started to jump! Then I played with the treble and settled on putting it to -1, restarted the song, closed my eyes & HOLY S#&%!!!! ... it was like being back @ the show that the recording was done at. Perrcussion slightly right of center, keys left of center, guitar mostly left, bass mostly right and Jennie's sweet smooth vocals coming straight down Broadway .... cranked it to -15 and it still sounded smooth as silk and aside from the increased db level it was as clear as listening to it at -55. Try little tweaks until u get the sound u like.

• 4 years later...

DeanG,

How extensive would it be to upgrade the Xover/networks for RB-5II? I've never had Klipsch speakers (RB15/25/35/KLF-20/RF-83/KSF-10.5/KSB-3.1) sound 'harsh' until my RB-5II. Some music sounds fantastic, some unlistenable. They are so live I think I may need to tame them a bit. Thanks

-Pat