Battle Royale

mineral

not sure if many of your are asian film fans..and if you're not, you're missing out on some of the finest, most thought provoking films out there.

last night i finally got around to watching Battle Royale. needless to say, 16 hours later i'm still thinking about it. the movie is utterly amazing and shocking at the same time. it's an odd twist to the lord of the flies, where the world has collapsed and we find a class of high school students shipped to an uninhabited island. the twist being that they aren't shoved off there for their protection, but the military has forceful placed them there to pit them against themselves.

42 students.

3 days.

Only 1 is allowed to survive.

i'm quite sure this movie is well known in some parts for being highly controversial, seeing as kids are killing kids in some of the most gruesome ways possible. but the movie is riddled with metaphor and philosophy, tho i'm not quite articulate to point them all out to you.

i watched the special addition that has a VERY awesome audio track. sound fx and music are outstanding.

PLEASE check this flick out, you won't be dissappointed, merely disheartened.

the one i watched was with the original japanese track with subtitles...

i'm not sure, but there may be one with a dubbed english track, being that there are so many versions out there. an original edition, special edition, director's cut, etc. i think dvdasian.com has like 4 versions. i'd cross my finger tho for having an english dub with a 5.1 or DTS audio track.

however, i've always been one to remain loyal to the original language of the film, especially in this case as the dialogue is riddled with so much emotion that you'd loose something when watching it in english. of course, japanese girls screaming all the time CAN get a tad annoying ;)