Cerametallic� cones

cc1091

I found this statement in the write-up for the new RF-5 speakers. I assume it is elsewhere too:

"Although many people will choose to show off the copper-colored Cerametallic cones,.."

I presently have no problem with the sound eminating from this cone speaker, but I would not want to remove the grills to "show off" these cheesy looking drivers. B&W Kevlar drivers would easily win in a beauty contest (as would old celestion white drivers).

I also have heard that these Cerametallic cones deform and twist undercertain conditions related to time, wear and humidity (although I haven't noticed it in my own RP-3 drivers, I have seen it in many display models at the local "Audio King" aka "Ultimate Audio" dealer). I can't help but think that this will cause a degredation of sound.

This message has been edited by cc1091 on 06-28-2001 at 11:21 AM

cc1091:

Of course, to each his/her own...I'm sure there are an equal number of people who don't care for their yellow drivers either. Unfortunately though, what you have been told about the durability of our cones could not be farther from the truth. Those dented cones you occasionally see on showroom floors are caused by curious fingers, knees, competitors (????), and general traffic on a retail showroom floor when the grills are absent from the speakers. Time, wear, humidity, nor the position of the moon will not dent or crease those cones. I think the salesperson(s) who fed you that line saw your disdain for the copper color and wanted to sway you into buying something...so they tried to build on your initial opinion and tried to sell you....let me guess here...maybe those yellow cone speakers???

PhilH

cc1091,

You think THESE drivers look cheesy, you should see some of the other stuff out there.

I think the UGLIEST drivers EVER conceived are the TC 21 concentric three-way drivers from Cabasse. These things look like, well, here... take a gander...

And they go in a pair of speakers that cost - drum roll, please - $89,000

go figure...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

I really like the new coppertone. In fact next Dec. I'm replacing my C-7, 4 KLF-20's, and 4800 Denon with RC-7, 4 RF-7's, RS-7 and a Denon 5800.

As an added benefit they match my Sundance Gold Acura CL Type S

------------------

Denon 48oo

Klipsch

4 - KLF-20's

C-7 center

CRAZEDLUNI... how did you come by your name? Maybe it was by a Santa Claus Lusting for four RF-7's rather than five? I figure it may take my local Good Guys at least 'til Christmas to find sound room space for these "sonic hotties."

You have proven you have the space and taste to opt for matched mains and surrounds... but how about the dynamite rear effects options on that 5800? Personally, I much prefer at least a 6.1 (automatically generated from 5.1 sources) for HT fare.

But, just maybe, you know something that I should. What say you? HornEd

------------------

"Living with Legends... and K_7 Challenged"

KLF C7 Center

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Megawatt Subs

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... R_7 On!?

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-30-2001 at 07:37 AM

I like the new copper tone and think that it is a really smart move for a compnay that does not make fancy wood cabinets, just like the sharp looking yellow drivers of B&W, it is a signature of the brand, one that is more recognizable by most of the general public than the horns

Luni-

Are you gonna park your car in the living room, or are you gonna put your new speakers in the car?

In either case, take a long and hard listen to those References before you take that plunge--I would A/B them if at all possible. If, after an objective evaluation you still want to part with your KLF 20s, let us know here at the forum first, so we can have a crack at buying them before you trade in!

The creases in the drivers witnessed at the local mega audio/video store were definitely not made by covert actions by the anti-Klipsch types (unless it was to drive the speaker with ten gillion watts). The deformations were regular, eminating from the center magnet in a quarter turn spiral pattern to the outside edges of the cone. Quite artistic if you thought that these wave patterns were really supposed to be there.

It is true that the anti-klipsch bent of this store is very evident. The foot spikes of the reference speakers are often bent or broken, and the front grilles of the speakers are often held on by the only two surviving plastic mounting posts. If it were a good store that respected its products, these problems and the twisted cones would be replaced and not shown to the public (in fact in surprised that Klipsch puts up with it here in the Minneapolis market). Apparently this store is quite happy with the numbers of Martin-Logans, Infinitys, and Boston Acoustic it sells. It was interesting that they removed the Klipsch reference series speakers from the same listening room as the Martin-Logan's. Perhaps they were tired of loosing that multi-thousand dollar commission for a pair of Klipsch speakers that cost only a third, and sound infinitely better?

BTW - I don't think B&W would allow their speakers in a place such as this. Im wondering why Klipsch would.