Solidtate Pre amp/tube amps is it OK?

RAPTORMAN

I am currently using Klipschorns as my main speakers and Heresy II all aroung On my HT setup. Everybody that I talk to is telling me that I should drive my Khorns with a tube amp. My receiver is an Onkyo 701 which gives me a pre-out--I can hook up any type of amp on this pre out. I would like to use a tube amp for 2 channel audio and use my Onkyo for my HT movies. Any suggestions out there??

Thanks

Raptorman

What sources would you use for 2-channel listening? Can they be shared between 2 pre-amps? I'm using a Fisher integrated tube amp for 2-channel listening. I share my SACD/DVD player between my Denon HT receiver and my Fisher amp. When I'm doing 2-channel, it's ALL tubes ('cept for the SACD player). When I'm doing HT, it's all SS.

My Khorns are hooked up to the Onkyo 701--I plan to hook up the tube amps to the pre out of the Onkyo, in essence my Onkyo becomes a pre amp by doing this; but the Onkyo is of course SS. What I would ideally like is to have all tubes for 2 channel listening, and all SS for HT. What is my solution, without sacrificing audio quality??

Thanks

Raptorman1.gif

Raptor

IMO the preamp is more important than the power amps for 2CH listening.

If you want the best 2CH experiance, I do not think you will get it with any HT processor as your preamp. I have tried this unsuccessfully with my Lexicon. My McIntosh preamp just smokes it for listening.

You can use Tube amps for HT. You just can not get away with using 3-5 watt SET amps. If your running Heritage for example a good 30 watt tube amp would be enough for an excelent HT experiance.

What I do is share my power amps with both of my sources. I do this with an APEX phono switch so I can select between the Lexicon for HT and McIntosh for 2CH. Works great.

Some guys use a swich box after the amps keeping there amps and preamps separate.

Either way it will work fine.

JM

You could run higher power tube amps on the mains for both HT and music.

I tried it last week and was amazed at the difference between using a tubes over solid state.

Try to get a home trial of a tube amp and see how it works for you. I did and now the search is on for a permanent fix.