Wiring a sub woofer

Dave R.

I have KLF 20s as main speakers in my system and I'm addind a sub woofer which I built using a Shiva driver and a Parts Express 250W plate amp. I plan to use the speaker level inputs.Instead of wiring from the receiver to the sub input and then from the sub output to the mains, can I wire from the receiver to the mains and then from the mains to the sub inputs? Will this change the main's ohm rating?

Hi, the intended reason to go to the sub 1st, is to to have it extract the low frequencies it will amplify, and pass the highs on to your KLF20 sattelites. I'm thinking it will not work properly in your reversed order, as your mains will be fed a full-range frequency. However,since I've never seen this question pondered, I'm not sure about the impedence your amp will see. It would seem that the LF's will take the path of least resistance and make a bee-line to the KLF20's, thereby "starving the sub".

Obviously though, you have a reason to want to do this?

Maybe some other Wrong Way Corrigan's could elaborate more?9.gif

By running the wires to your mains and then connecting your sub in parallel to them you will have lowered your resistance and you amp will now see resistance R dictated by 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 where R1 is your mains resistance and R2 is your sub amps resistance.

Im guessing you want to wire them so you have a full frequency signal fed to your mains? Your plate amp doesnt offer this feature? Your receivers sub-out definitely does (setting your mains to large will feed them the bass)...

Iron brings up a good point if we knew what you were trying to do, we might be more helpful 2.gif

Rob

Rob, my guess right now would be he doesn't have one of those new-fangeled LFE/sub-outs on the reciever. Otherwise he'd use it.....right.... Dave?

Wouldn't the sub still be paralleled, going there 1st? Is there some sort of impedence protection built into the plate amp, and only active by hitting it 1st?