Question for Artto

wrench_peddler

My wife moved out and left a ceramic tiled floor, 1/4" wood panel walled, acoustic ceiling tiled, 15'x20'x<8' den with lots of echo. My son promptly moved the pool table in. Would it be helpful to quiet down the room by packing the bottom side of the pool table with the left over clothes from her closet or some other prefered material? Poor humor but serious question. Waffle foam? Fourty strips of carpet hanging by an edge? Looking for something that isn't real expensive but that will just help calm the room. KHorns in the 20'corners, Belle center, Chorns rear. Willing to hang a few panels on the walls or traps in the horiz ceiling corners but still want the room to be inviting to my son and his guest. Nothing as elaborate as your room, just better than it is now. I plan to place a screen for a projector above the Belle, but for now mostly 5.1 music for company, 2 channel with tubes for my quiet times. Thanks.

Having reread 2 or 3 times, the Moon Theater thread, I think I see a few things I need to do. I am open for suggestions especially regarding use of the underside of the pool table but feel I can work out the rest of the room by "absorbing" what is already "reflected" in other post.

Wrenchactually no. That would probably be the completely wrong thing to do. Most of the BROADBAND absorption should be applied in the vertical corners of the room, opposite of the Khorns. At the Klipsch facilities in Indy, the Heritage room even has one large Auralex Mega LENRD sitting on top of each Khorn.

The horizontal corners would be next in priority. And with Khorns you need to absorb more at the rear walls & rear side walls. The rest of the room should be more diffusive, not necessarily absorptive.

A good test for this is to cup your ears with your hands at the listening position. If you hear a significant tightening up of the sound, then you definitely have a rear wall/rear room reflection problem at the listening position.

Typically, with Khorns, the standing waves tend build up more in the room corners than with other speakers. And since their corner placement is essentially mandatory for maximum performance, you dont really have too much of an option for moving them around to reduce this effect.

The result of these standing waves building up in the vertical & horizontal corners often results in cancellation of the same frequencies in the central area of the room. So putting a large amount of absorption under the pool table will just help absorb the very frequencies that are already attenuated.