Klf 30

I have heard that the 30's don't have as much bass as the, say, the 20's but speaker placement is gonna be the key thing here. If you don't have one already I would seriously think about getting an SPL meter (hand held units at Radio Shack for about $35). Using that will get the most bass out of them with out buying anything else heavy-duty.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33 (In the Hospital--being discharged on June 29th)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough boxes for a fire hazard!

Au Contraire Mr. Blasing!

I upgraded from 20s to 30s, and for a while I thought the 20s were bassier, but I don't think so anymore. Maybe it's all part of the ears vs. speakers being broken in debate, but I think the 30s have considerably more bass! Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the question at hand; just had to interject my 2¢

As far as good amps with the 30s, I have no experience with the NAD line, but I know it's a quality amplifier. I've been experimenting with a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp that I bought off ebay, and can say that tube amps and horn speakers are a match made in heaven. Since Klipsch are so efficient, you don't need a ton of power, and that's perfect for the old Dynaco stuff. Naturally the amps usually require a fair amount of updating, but it's very inexpensive, and the results are amazing.

Now I'm up to 4¢ I'll quit now.

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 06-29-2001 at 06:49 PM

Hello,

I don't know if this is applicable to what you're asking buy I've got an old NAD 3240 amp ( ftp://NADelectronics.net/info/NAD_3240.pdf ) about 1990 vintage driving my new KLF 30's and I'm very happy with the system. The 3240 is 40 W RMS but has great headroom, up to 200 W peak power so music is very alive. There is plenty of bass for my tastes (hard rock, techno, classical). I can't really comment on how much my old NAD has in common with new NAD's, though.

blasing: How do these SPL's work (I know you advised me before to get one as well)... Can you set what frequency it is measuring the level of?

While on the subject of bassiness... I've been very surprised at how different each of my CD's sound... I mean, with my first speakers (Boston T930's) I never noticed just how different each band sounds. For example, if the recording is mixed with some roll-off in the bass like Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, I didn't get nearly the punch out of the 30's as I was expecting somehow. But, with bass heavy stuff like Metallica or Kraftwerk the bass is really solid and really nice and accurate... very accurate and not at all boomy, just clean and deep. Very nice indeed. In other words, I find the 30's to be very accurate. They truly reproduce the recording and don't seem to colorate things at all.

Speaker placement is important, as is where you place your ears. When I crank up the 30's and go into another room, some parts of the room really set up standing waves which just make my head hurt (bass overload) while other areas tend to be bass shy. Also, the type of chair or sofa (wood, metal or cushy etc.) you're sitting in can have an effect on what you hear since it will carry the vibrations into your body, which all affects the sound, especially low frequencies.

Just my 2 yen worth,

Mace

mace,

I'm a little pressed for time but check out the "odds and mods" section and look for a thread titled "hey gang!". It might make sense to ya.

------------------

Tom

Monster Power HTS-5000 coming July 5th!

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33 (now off life support)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough boxes for a fire hazard!

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly, tblasing... IMHO, KLF 30's are easily the richest bass providers of the Legend series... but the KLF 20 can go a couple dB's lower than the 30 and the KLF 10 can go a couple dB's lower than the 20... but such tiny differences are extremely difficult to detect even with an SPL meter. To me, the 20's may have a slight edge in tightness but the 30's flat move more "high character" air!

As we agree, Tom, big bass is a function of moving big volumes of air with at precise frequencies ordained by the source... and not being reduced or cancelled by an opposing wave of the same frequency. So you are dead on target with the positioning and SPL acquisition to prove what position's best... cwm38.gif that meter!

Perstian2000, so far I prefer a Yamaha RX-V3000 with my 30's in a Home Theater environment because:

1. Power is quite adequate for efficient Legends.

2. Front effects provide better sound staging IMHO.

3. Auto DD and dts extensions make 6.1 of 5.1 sources.

4. Easy (albeit 90 Hz) bass management is built-in.

5. KLF 30's sound better than with many other amps.

6. Better quality I/O's (component, fiber optic, S-Video, etc.)

7. Strong DAC chipset.

8. Decent basic remote.

9. Good deals can be had.

BUT, your ears should be the final judge when it comes to the shades and nuances of enjoyable sound... particularly with the KLF 30's. They are accurate and unforgiving which makes them seem harsh and overly bright with many amps. Remember, big horns need to be aimed like a rifle toward your sweetspot... and not like a scattergun. Therefore, an SPL meter is a critical tool in multi-speaker environments (Even with a "perfect set" of ears, psychoacoustics make it extremely difficult, at best, to set up multiple-speakers). Tom has advised you well.

Others may point you in various directions... but that should be no more than a starting place on your great KLF 30 "ear journey." Enjoy the journey, the results can bring you a lifetime of happiness. cwm27.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

FWIW, my experience has been that room/speaker placement and interaction will have far more impact on yor bass than changing amps. I would suggest buying or borrowing a test disc with the appropriate frequency response signals, as well as the Radio Shack SPL meter. Then use those tools and your ears to figure out where to place your speakers for the smoothest bass response at your listening position. Take the money you save and buy more CD's. Hope this helps.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Does anyone know where a person can pick up a test CD with different frequencies, left and right channel tests and such?? I remember a kid in college who had one and it also had some other sounds like a 747 taking off. Any tips where I could find/buy such a CD would be appreciated. cwm6.gif

I will state again that I have learned that speaker placement is quite important. I've had my KLF-30's for a few months and am still moving them around to tweak the sound.

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 07-20-2001 at 08:30 PM

There is a good test CD from Hi Fi News and Record Review. I believe Elusive Disc has it at about $30.

Klipsch fans will have fun with the 'Garage Door' track. Wink.gif