which speakers?

bulldog

I have been reading the forum for a while and this is my first post. I was hoping to get some assistance in picking speakers for 7.1 system.

Which combination would work best?

RF-7 and RC-7 for front and four RB-75 for surrounds

seven RB-75 for front and surrounds

RC-7 for center and six RB-75

It will be for some music but more movies.

First of all, welcome to the fray!!

Personally, I belong to the identical speaker camp. Therefore, I would recommend the RB-75s all around. There will be others to chime in w/ other suggestions as well. This will give you perfect timbre matching for movies AND multi-channel music. The only area where some can say this system will be "lacking" is in pure two channel mode. However, the 75s go down to 42 Hz which ain't too shabby and you're really going to need a sub anyway for movies.

Anway you go, you're going to well pleased w/ the sound!

John

Welcome! I'm with yromj... identical speakers all the way with the addition of an adequate sub array!

The state of the art is only six discrete channels (in 7.1 the two rear channels actually share one discrete signal). For stereo music, the bulk of the sound goes to the left and right speakers (unless you opt for three-channel stereo favored by Paul Klipsch and invented at Bell Labs). Multi-channel music is getting better IMHO. And, DVD's push upwards of 75% of the total sound through the front center speaker... so it should at least be equal to the best speakers in the system.

Six or seven identical speakers allow the closest timbre-match... so the voice of each speaker does not distort the sound of a helicopter flying circles around your listening position. The other speaker configurations you mention would has a "Doppler shift" effect as sound transferred from one speaker to the next.

Of course, an SPL meter (like Radio Shack's) and a set-up disk (like Avia's) is critical to getting the most and best sound from your rig. =HornEd

I would go with 2 RF 7's, an RC-7 and 4 RB 75's. However you cannot go wrong w/a recommendation from Horn Ed having read many of his threads since I joined I would say he is a definitive authority. I would stay away from the RS-X stuff unless you have a very small room

Thanks for the help. I have read many older posts about speakers for a home theater and most say center chanel is most important because it gets the most signals. So would it be better to get a RC-7 for center instead of RB-75 since thats what its made for?

Also, if I use all the same speaker do they all need to be at the same height?

HornEd, what is a sub array? Also, you think 6.1 is better than 7.1?

----------------

On 3/9/2004 5:07:41 PM bulldog wrote:

Thanks for the help. I have read many older posts about speakers for a home theater and most say center chanel is most important because it gets the most signals. So would it be better to get a RC-7 for center instead of RB-75 since thats what its made for?

Also, if I use all the same speaker do they all need to be at the same height?

HornEd, what is a sub array? Also, you think 6.1 is better than 7.1?

----------------

As far as the center goes the RB-75 would be preferred my many because of "lobing" induced by center channel speakers w/ two horizontally oriented woofers. (Lobing is caused by wave interference patterns which result in frequency peaks and nulls as you move along the axis of the speakers (horizontally in this case).) Klipsch uses Tapered Array, which only uses one driver for certain frequencies, to help eliminate this. It is important to note however that laying an RB-75 on its side would not sound nearly as good as using an RC-7. If you use the 75, leave it vertical. Last thing, the RC-7's sensitivity is 98dB and the 75's is 97dB so not too much to worry about there.

The Dolby website recommends putting the rears 2'-3' above ear level and not angling them toward the listener.

A sub array is simply using multiple subs. These can be used/arranged in several ways. I think HornEd was stating that there are 6.1 discrete channels at most right now, and since the bookshelves are sold in pairs, 6.1 would an easier way to go.

Of course I probably should have just let HornEd state that.9.gif

John

i would suggest rf-7's l,r/rc-7 ctr. for the front.the rc-7 center is a PERFECT timbre match for the horn in the rf-7's.

rf-7's will give you better 2-ch. and 2-ch.+sub performance. as far as rears go,IMO,it depends on YOUR environment and PERSONAL taste. the rb-75's and the rs-7's are BOTH great speakers, and share the SAME horn as the others.

round out the bottom end w/a RSW-15.

avman.