CD vs LP (vinyl)

mandi

----------------

On 3/13/2004 12:15:57 AM TBrennan wrote:

Hell, there are people who think laserdiscs look better than DVDs. And for first generation DVD players that was true. But it sure ain't now.

Laserdiscs are analog too you know, you can tell by all the NOISE.

----------------

The laserdisc. Another archaic dinosaur.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbin---Yeah, LD's a dinosuar but it's still the best way you can watch Taras Bulba, Helen of Troy, The Sea Hawk, The Drum, Northwest Passage, Our Daily Bread, White Heat, Some Came Running and many other old pictures I love.

Jeez, from this one might reason that LP is still the beat way to listen to some music, some. I don't know what but some.

I'm glad there is a "vinyl, tubes & analog" contingent in the audiophile world. It is better than throwing all those big black discs in the landfill. And just think of the back strain hoisting those big ol' tube amps out of the dumpster would give your sanitation crew! And of course, there's all those workers at the tube factories in the former Soviet Union and eastern block countries. You just know they appreciate the demand for their tubes.

But seriously, while I myself seem to be immune to most of the supposed nasties of digital and solid state, I can't rule out that some people may hear things that I do not. On the other hand, maybe they are all living in a glass bubble. (get it? 11.gif)

Personally, I can't stand any kind of transient noise in my recordings. So when I listen to music, I make sure all the bums down on the corner keep it down.9.gif (politically incorrect humor at the expense of those less fortunate than I15.gif ) But I really do HATE noise in a recording or an audio componennt. The only exceptions being that some low level tape hiss or fan noise is not really bothersome. And in fact, to the extent it may mask some transient type noise, it can even be helpful.

So, perhaps that partially explains my aversion to LP's and tubes. I like it clean and quiet, and that is what I get from good solid state and digital. Sure, I've got plenty of hard, two-dimensional, lifeless sounding CD's, but I've also got many that sound wonderful. Nearly as good as SACD/DVD-A, in my opinion. In fact, I'd say the best sounding CD's are at least 90% as good as the best sounding hi-rez discs I've heard. My experience with hi-rez is quite limited, though, so a grain of salt may be in order here.

In my experience, a good sounding recording is made or lost in the original recording and mastering process. The medium can only get out of the way. And digital gets out of the way much better than analog, IMesHO, of course.

1.gif